Sax on the Web Forum banner
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
It is very possible to get a replacement for less than $Gloger, but you will have some work to do yourself. Just fitted a $60 ebay Chinese "Power Neck" underslung replacement to my $200 ebay Cleveland Acorn. It took 2 hours of filing and sanding to evenly reduce the tenon from 28.2mm to 27.9mm and one more to get the octave key adjusted. I have basically made a poor man's Super 20 to be a backup for my real S20, at a total cost of $300 if you add the $40 I paid to my tech to dial in the key heights.

Test results: Dude. I think I did good. Intonation is better and suprisingly, this thing is an altissimo monster now! Even brighter than the real S20.

This has been a fun and rewarding experiment, everyone should try renecking!

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,681 Posts
I've only read 2 pages (the last 2) of this thread, but I don't think I can bear to read more. There's a lot of bad info, bad reasoning, and just plain preachy-but-completely-wrong control freak stuff going on, by people who present themselves to be experts (some, those who are expert already know I don't mean them) but who are only experts on the internet.

Just don't automatically believe anything you read on this thread.

I can't read more than those 2 pages. Just too annoying. But any one who wishes for clarification (on necks, not whom I find annoying personally) is welcome to get in contact. Ask a neckmaker and you may get some over-zealous info, but at least it will be from someone who's got experience trying to achieve a goal, here, because they are seeking something other than money or "internet cred."

·
Registered
400 Posts
Here is a great example of how necks make all the difference on how the horn plays. I had a dog of a Mark VI and on a whim I bought another 6 neck and all of a sudden that horn played incredible. I also had my repairman, who is a monster player play them side by side and he agreed. In fact he offered me 500 for that neck which of course I said NO. I am totally convinced that the neck makes all the difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,015 Posts
I need neck for my CONN 10M 1966 underslung with double socket.
If china made, i buyer.
Gloger is very expensive, i live in Brazil and my money(4:1 compared with dollar)
In Brazil 1 dollar=4.5 Reais (Brazilian)
Very difficult neck to find. If you were looking for a standard-socket, standard octave key neck for a 10M it would be MUCH easier because 16M necks work perfectly for that.

But the double-socket underslung neck.,....very hard to find an original...and a new copy is very expensive.

Another SOTW member actually sent me his neckless 60's 10M to overhaul, and I decided to actually outfit the horn with a standard 16M neck. This entails replacing not only the neck receiver, but actually removing the octave key mechanism and grafting on a 16M mechanism....silver soldering an add'l armature to the key, and relocating posts.

Believe it or not, I ascertained this to be both EASIER and CHEAPER than hunting for a 10M underslung double-socket neck.

contact Phil at secondhandsaxes.com.au he may have one (an original). But if he does, it will not be cheap, either...probably over $350usd.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,895 Posts
another possibility is (but it would change completely the sax) to get a matching set of tenon receiver as sold by some shops ( Ferree’s?) and replace the double socket receiver and then put the matching tenon on a neck of your choice.

A shop did this for me some time ago on a different sax than yours. They had the tenon receiver sets, perfectly matching.

·
19,015 Posts
It is very possible to get a replacement for less than $Gloger, but you will have some work to do yourself. Just fitted a $60 ebay Chinese "Power Neck" underslung replacement to my $200 ebay Cleveland Acorn. It took 2 hours of filing and sanding to evenly reduce the tenon from 28.2mm to 27.9mm and one more to get the octave key adjusted. I have basically made a poor man's Super 20 to be a backup for my real S20, at a total cost of $300 if you add the $40 I paid to my tech to dial in the key heights.

Test results: Dude. I think I did good. Intonation is better and suprisingly, this thing is an altissimo monster now! Even brighter than the real S20.

This has been a fun and rewarding experiment, everyone should try renecking!
Actually, interestingly enough, Cleves are good patients for a chinese neck replacement.

With THAT said, however...you are making a few presumptions here. Because the fact is, many vintage horns are NOT good matches for contemporary inexpensive replacement necks. So to suggest it has a fair chance of success is....mmmmmmm....arguable.

I am not criticizing you .....I just don't want your comment to lead folks down a garden path to a dead-end. I have done at least 100 neckless-body matches in my day.....it is not by any means as 'easy' as you suggest.

Also, FWIW, rather than DIY-grind a tenon down to fit...one could just as easily have a tech order a tenon of correct diameter and replace the tenon on the chinese neck. It would not result in a final pricetag exceeding what you spent on your method.

Secondly, I think you are comparing apples and oranges a bit. Because by your own admission, the tonality of the horn changed considerably.
Yet many folks seeking a replacement actually do not wish that to happen. They want the replacement neck to maintain the signature tonality and response of a factory neck.

Which is again, as I stated in an earlier post - TOO MUCH to ask of a chinese generic replacement neck. What you can fairly expect to get out of one of those - is simply a neck which intones the horn decently up and down the registers, thus making the body a playing saxophone once again.

Which it sounds like you have achieved. So...enjoy !

·
19,015 Posts
All very interesting, and indeed you are doing your research.

The problem is...how can you find a double socket tenon for a 10M ? If a shop or machinist can make one....then what kind of neck tube will you fit it to ?

Is that neck tube an appropriate one for a 10M ?

And, finally, by the time you do all this - fabricate a double-socket tenon, install on a neck tube, find or fabricate an underslung octave key and install on the neck tube...and (most importantly) make sure that your neck mechanism works properly with the 10M body octave mechanism *because the 10M body mechanism sends the octave stem in an OPPOSITE direction than, say, a Yanagisawa, King, or Buescher one does ......so it 'pushes open' the octave key by moving TOWARDS the sax body, now AWAY from; so has your tech taken that into consideration ? Because it is a huge consideration.

....so, will all of this newly built neck project end up being any cheaper than finding an original neck, or paying for a custom made replacement ?

I almost wonder if it'd be useful to try to contact one of the generic neck makers in china and ask them if they can do a reproduction (?)

Just a thought.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
It is very possible to get a replacement for less than $Gloger, but you will have some work to do yourself. Just fitted a $60 ebay Chinese "Power Neck" underslung replacement to my $200 ebay Cleveland Acorn. It took 2 hours of filing and sanding to evenly reduce the tenon from 28.2mm to 27.9mm and one more to get the octave key adjusted.
I fitted a Chinese neck to a Buescher 400 alto. It improved intonation and altered the sound. Not better not worse - just a different sound. The tenon fit was just very very slightly to tight, but some sanding polishing was all it needed rather than any serious contracting. The reason for the iimprtoved intonation was due to being abetter match for my modern mouthpieces. The metal was very slightly thicker, causing the internal bore to be smaller and better in tune. I discussed this one with Curt Altatarc who agreed with me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Saxolese said:

>>>The pitch of the fundamental of a given note is one thing. The frequency of its harmonics is something else. A really thorough test of a neck (or saxophone for that matter) is to get a tuner that shows the pitch of the fundamental and the closest harmonics and check the "harmonicity" of the body and neck tube.

What tuners can do that?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,046 Posts
Saxolese said:

>>>The pitch of the fundamental of a given note is one thing. The frequency of its harmonics is something else. A really thorough test of a neck (or saxophone for that matter) is to get a tuner that shows the pitch of the fundamental and the closest harmonics and check the "harmonicity" of the body and neck tube.

What tuners can do that?
Conn Strobotuner, and all its digital descendants.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts