Sax on the Web Forum banner
81 - 100 of 137 Posts

Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
Well, I am afraid that this rule applies very loosely since there are more exceptions than compliers.
so we can grass up most US saxophone and accessory producers, get them slapped with hefty fines by and put out of business.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
something tells me that enforcement wouldn鈥檛 be a priority
I bet that it is sufficient to identify the origin on the barcode of a product (which most people don鈥檛 even realize is there on the box)

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
I've long been interested in a Paraschos neck but this thread has given me pause.
I think Paraschos is a bit different...which is why I hadn't mentioned them before. I mean, one has a right to b#tch about a $600+ neck which is actually made in china and stencil branded. But Paraschos necks are a unique thing.

Now, are theirs also a 'one size fits all' ? Or do they target particular necks for particular models ? If the former, then yeah, maybe pause....because it's the same roll of dice you'd take with any neck which is marketed as such...

Premium Member
I think Paraschos is a bit different...which is why I hadn't mentioned them before. I mean, one has a right to b#tch about a $600+ neck which is actually made in china and stencil branded. But Paraschos necks are a unique thing.

Now, are theirs also a 'one size fits all' ? Or do they target particular necks for particular models ? If the former, then yeah, maybe pause....because it's the same roll of dice you'd take with any neck which is marketed as such...
I don't believe they pre-fit the neck for a specific model, but I wonder if they could do so on request? I know that Peter Ponzol in the past requested the original neck be sent to him as a model before making his aftermarket neck. Don't know if he still does that.

Distinguished SOTW Member
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I don't believe they pre-fit the neck for a specific model, but I wonder if they could do so on request? I know that Peter Ponzol in the past requested the original neck be sent to him as a model before making his aftermarket neck. Don't know if he still does that.
I think when you order from his site they do ask which model horn you're buying it for... so maybe the necks are tailored for different makes of horns? I wonder though, are the NECKS themselves different for each horn or is it just a different tenon made to be an approximate fit for each horn?

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
FWIW, I had a Paraschos that was made for a Borgani Jubilee (marked "OB" as I recall)- intonation was good. For the same horn, I also had a silver Borgani power neck, and a silver Gloger. All played well - so well that intonation was NOT a deciding factor in which I kept with the horn.

Ahhhh...I DO see on his website that Paraschos actually at least specifies/specs the BRAND of horn his available necks are tailored to. So that isn't a 'one-size-fits-all' thing then. That's promising....

I think when you order from his site they do ask which model horn you're buying it for... so maybe the necks are tailored for different makes of horns? I wonder though, are the NECKS themselves different for each horn or is it just a different tenon made to be an approximate fit for each horn?
Good question. Good reading between the lines, there....

Or maybe it's different tenon, different pip location, same neck tube ? Stuff like this....

Paraschos is pretty much 鈥 sui generis鈥 and if you buy their product you are buying into the idea that ia paraschos neck produces a sound of its own (whether because it is made of wood or, as I believe, because it has a geometry dictated by the fact that it is wooden made). Wether this is an improvement over the standard neck remains to be seen , case by case.

The Paraschos family has to be one of the nicest group of people in the musical instruments business. I absolutely respect their ethos and way of working. They provide you with something of the outmost quality but you have to like the product and the concept.

Registered
"Tailored" only meaning that the fit is adjusted. Nothing is tailored other than the tenon fit.

"Tailored" only meaning that the fit is adjusted. Nothing is tailored other than the tenon fit.
Which of course at the end of the day might not even be 'tailored' enough. I mean, best they can do before sending a neck out is refer to the owner's model, refer to their 'charts' of tenon diameters for different models, tweak their tenon to match their chart numbers (or grab a tenon of diameter matching the chart, and solder it on), and pack it up.

There's a fair chance that when the neck arrives the new owner may still have to take it to a tech to really dial in the fit for his/her actual horn.

Paraschos is pretty much " sui generis" and if you buy their product you are buying into the idea that ia paraschos neck produces a sound of its own (whether because it is made of wood or, as I believe, because it has a geometry dictated by the fact that it is wooden made). Wether this is an improvement over the standard neck remains to be seen , case by case.
I'd be interested in seeing if, for example, the neck they provided for Dr. G, a Borgani owner, is the exact same neck they provided for someone else's Yamaha or Selmer, with the exception of perhaps the tenon diameter.

If so, then honestly they do not really make necks specifically spec'd for different brand/models of horn, they just make 'their' neck spec and, like the above, slap on the 'appropriate' sized tenon.

If so....disappointing, IMHO (although I am still very impressed with the ability to craft a precise and beautiful neck out of wood)....and honestly it elevates, in my mind, what Gloger offers ...custom necks for your specific model horn in the 鈧500-600 range.

I don鈥檛 think they make specific necks for specific horns (aside their first target horn, the Yanagisawas). At least that wasn鈥檛 the case back then, when I met them in Frankfurt.

They have their own concept which was originally, I believe , developed with and for Yanagisawa. Paraschos was and still is their importer in Greece and they were asked by Yanagisawa to make wooden necks , which they did, then they took it from there when people asked then to fit these necks onto other saxophones.

Regardless of whether it works similarly well on another horn, it worked well on the Borgani for which it was purchased - so much better than a Selmer-made neck (sterling silver thinwall, Serie II tenor) on a Selmer Serie III tenor. So yes, necks can be wrong, but the Paraschos/Borgani neck was right.

I'd be interested in seeing if, for example, the neck they provided for Dr. G, a Borgani owner, is the exact same neck they provided for someone else's Yamaha or Selmer, with the exception of perhaps the tenon diameter.

If so, then honestly they do not really make necks specifically spec'd for different brand/models of horn, they just make 'their' neck spec and, like the above, slap on the 'appropriate' sized tenon.

If so....disappointing, IMHO (although I am still very impressed with the ability to craft a precise and beautiful neck out of wood)....and honestly it elevates, in my mind, what Gloger offers ...custom necks for your specific model horn in the 鈧500-600 range.

Point well taken. However there is some good evidence that there are slight differences even between necks of the same make and model.
That has certainly been my experience when testing Selmer Ref 54 and Ref 36 tenor necks - lots of variation. Although intonation was reasonably consistent, response ranged from dead/stuffy to great.

Banned
Isn't Oleg the guy who pooched Brecker's tenor neck? I wouldn't let anybody expand the receiver when they could adjust the tenon on their Chinese made neck.
I shoulda started badging these necks and selling them at $160. That's only 100% mark up.
Tim, my only question is how the octave key "finger" reaches all the way up to the rail on the neck? Maybe it's just my eyes, but every Chinese/Taiwanese, etc. aftermarket neck I've seen seems to have the rail (for lack of a better term) on the neck mounted high and I wonder how the octave finger on the body of the horn reaches it? Make sense?

John

Registered
This discussion is missing the mark, #17 and #20. I collect saxophones and am very reluctant to buy a vintage horn that had only a replacement neck. It may play, it may even play better than the original, but it's not part of the horn. Having original case, original mouthpiece, original papers makes it even more valuable as a collectable. I do in fact have a M6 tenor with original and replacement necks in which the added neck works better.

And of course makers and after-market makers sell replacement necks. Necks are small and easily damaged. They do need to be replaced from time to time. Which is what makes an antique horn with original neck more valuable.

Registered
I have just received a Selmer SA80 alto jubilee neck i have previously tried a ref54 neck on it and my impression is the palm key notes are more intune on the 'correct' neck but nothing that big that an expeienced player cant correct .

81 - 100 of 137 Posts