Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
There can't be a permanent alteration when trying out saxophone necks unless the player foolishly sells or trades away the horn's original neck. I don't think I've ever heard of someone intentionally getting rid of a sax's original neck, even if he prefers an aftermarket substitute.
I took it to mean an alteration of the tenon to make the aftermarket neck actually fit.

If you buy an aftermarket neck and do any adjustment like that, bang goes your return policy or warranty. Just don't do it unless you get something from a company such as as Gloger that is deigned for your actual instrument.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
But are you suggesting your $80 chinese eBay one plays as well as a $500+ properly reverse-engineered one made by Gloger or the like ?
I believe this is quite possible. Reverse engineering a neck is not difficult. There are some very very good engineering and manufacture in China. (AS well as the atrociously bad we all know about).

I would think a Chinese factory price for a neck could range from about $15 to over $100, so to retail online for 80$ it could well be very top end. As there is so much cheap crap coming out of China, we often forget that there can be some very good 9and relatively expensive) instruments. Di Zhao flutes being a good example as well as some very expensive rebranded saxophones whose companies what you to think they are made somewhere else.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
I'm sure the Chinese have the same or better access to whatever equipment and engineers to reverse engineer anything as a someone in a small shop has.
Of course they do, the main issue (and the sometimes valid reason some people look down on Chinese products) is that in spite of often good quality machinery and good craftsmanship, it is not always the case. I have spoken to a few factories and they will supply to a customer price. Cheap is possible if you ask for cheap, great quality is possible if you pay for it - but often they are hoist on their own petard as the cheaper stuff can give an overall false impression of what quality is possible and so we have the bad general reputation.

There's some other guys who sell Chinese, or Taiwanese (whatever), necks like these at $700 so they must think they are capable.
Or they just like having a huge markup. I know the wholesale/factory prices.

The point about necks (which has been made) is there is relatively way less to wrong than with a whole saxophone. Provided the octave key mechanism lines up and the metal has some integrity anyone can (for example) buy a neck for £40 and sell it for £500 or more with the right hype.

Players will try it and often find it sounds bit different. It's a strange human phenomenon that very often different = better (temporarily) and hence you may hear them saying it "opened up their sound" (I love that totally meaningless phrase)

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
Yup. A replacement neck not of a highly reverse-engineered design for a specific model will likely make the horn sound different, as far as tonality. This can often be perceived as a positive, initially at least.

..... But there is a realistic element, of course, that when someone buys something new, they initially are pretty pleased with their purchase.
Could be that they (subconsciously or not) want to justify spending the money. I do this, even though I realise later I don't really like it.

It can also, in fairness, be along the lines of what the buyer was looking for.

As in the vid I posted, the assumption there was someone isn't searching for a neck to make their horn sound exactly like what the original neck would have produced, but rather a neck which in some way 'gives something more' or 'different'.
Sometimes there is something describably better. The Chinese neck (Bauhaus) I sometimes use on my Buescher TH&C alto does have a different sound, some may call it focussed - Just find it less "fluffy" (not that fluffy is necessarily bad - or good) and a tad more in tune on the octave A. Curt Altarac agreed this is very possible as the bore is very slightly smaller due to thicker brass.

This change could, by many, be described/perceived as 'better' in a sense...i.e. the horn had more cojones, the horn 'cut through' more, etc. "opening up", "responsive", etc...

More cojones may just be from blowing it harder out of sheer excitement of receiving the package in the posts. Cut through I get, basically more edgy or bright sound. "Opening up" yeh, enough said - I just don't get that one.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
Peter Ponzol's necks are sourced. I don't know from where but I doubt that it is from anywhere in the Western Hemisphere.
If outside of the US then they should be marked

From US Customs and Border protection

Prior to importing your goods into the U. S., you should ensure the overseas supplier has marked the goods with the country of origin. For example, goods originating in China should be marked "Made in China". The marking must be legible and permanent enough for the ultimate purchaser to be made aware of the goods origin.

There is no such law in the UK I'm aware of part from re: food items, I'm not sure about other EU countries.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
Well, I am afraid that this rule applies very loosely since there are more exceptions than compliers.
so we can grass up most US saxophone and accessory producers, get them slapped with hefty fines by and put out of business.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
It is very possible to get a replacement for less than $Gloger, but you will have some work to do yourself. Just fitted a $60 ebay Chinese "Power Neck" underslung replacement to my $200 ebay Cleveland Acorn. It took 2 hours of filing and sanding to evenly reduce the tenon from 28.2mm to 27.9mm and one more to get the octave key adjusted.
I fitted a Chinese neck to a Buescher 400 alto. It improved intonation and altered the sound. Not better not worse - just a different sound. The tenon fit was just very very slightly to tight, but some sanding polishing was all it needed rather than any serious contracting. The reason for the iimprtoved intonation was due to being abetter match for my modern mouthpieces. The metal was very slightly thicker, causing the internal bore to be smaller and better in tune. I discussed this one with Curt Altatarc who agreed with me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts