Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a repair man in Michigan that has tools to measure the octave pip for horns--in the early 90's Selmer alto II's(maybe other horns too)the octave pip on the BODY had not been drilled out completely from the factory and this guy would use a drill bit like # 42 or something around there..I can't remember the exact drill bit he used....Later, I met the repair guy at Prowinds and he actually just took the entire pips out(apparetnly the just pop out and you can solder them back in...He had a whole box of them for overhauls...) and he would put a brand new pip in..it was standard practice for him...

Question: I've a feeling my custom Soprano needs something done with the octave pip...Is there someone who knows the CORRECT factory pip measurement? And this guy Steve from Prowinds had the pips but I'm wondering if each horn uses it's own size pip...sop--bari...I remember him mentioning that sop and alto were either the same or very close in size...

Thanks,

Nitro

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm not so sure what to do...it's a custom Yamaha 875 original series and it's in mint condition..sealing perfectly pads and neck...I even cleaned the neck pips out...the upper register( from octave A and up) gets smaller in sound(it doesn't feell open) compared to the low end which si brilliant and full...sounds great...I never had that with the other custom I played...I tried necks for it and I think it might just be the mouthpiece because I also tried a few other customs and it was close to the same..but these are the newer 875 customs being made in japan...its the original 875 series but they are still being made in japan currently...but I thought I might have the pip looked at if it is too small...
In general the horn plays great...and when I get my new silver thumb rest and thumbhook I'll be in heaven with it...It also played well with an otto link piece...really well...But I'm still wondering why it doesn't play the same as the other older custom I used to play...

Is the pip the same for alto as soprano? I assume no...

Do they make gold plated octave pip inserts? ....

just kidding :)

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pitch is just fine...pretty good actually...If the pip is normal size, which it probably is since the pip controls mostly intonation correct? I'll just have to find a different mouthpiece for this particular horn...
Thanks...

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yani hr 5. I was using a Selmer hr E for a couple years on an earlier custom sop and it was great...I tried a stock link 6 and hated it...I tried a link 5* and loved it...but it was stock and I didn:t feel like playing 20 of them to pick out asweet one so I just stayed with my yani piece...It works with the right reed...The upper end just feels like it should be more open on this sax...maybe I should freeze it?

just kidding :)

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the more open chamber of a Link than the super sessions...I like a fat, tubby sumo-type sound on sop....the super sessions are bit...well...too "super" for me... :)

The links are rocking...nice and fat...One could easily outfit their entire sax family on links and be doing well...can:t say that for any other mouthpiece...

Thanks for the help...the horn may just have key heights that a bit too low?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts