Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a modern neck to use with my Conn tranny. I prefer the mouthpiece angle of modern necks. I'm also curious what a custom neck might add to that big sound. Does anyone have any experience with this?

·
Administrator
13,994 Posts
lhoffman said:
No, a tenor, so 10M (though 10M came just after)
Actually, the catalog numbers 6M/10M/12M etc. apply to the earlier New Wonder as well as the later ARTIST, or "Lady Face" models.

The collecting community has assigned nicknames to these "M" model horns rather than use the more confusing official number designation for the various models. Thus, we have the New Wonder Series II or "Chu Berry", "Transitional", "Ladyface", and for the later Director student line "Shooting Star" etc. These nicknames were not used by the Conn company itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently replaced the neck on my 10M with a Gloger silver neck. To say that I am happy with it is a serious understatement. A much deeper tone and better intonation. More body to the sound is probably the best way to describe it.
They are expensive - I think the silver ones (which, by the way, are the only ones that musicmedic carries in stock and can be ordered right away) are about 700 and change. But I think it was well worth it, seeing as it makes me happier every time I pick up the horn.
On a quick side note - I find it absurd that people will frequently decide, without having tried a piece of equipment, that it is too expensive. There's a two week trial period on Glogers, and I think some of the other aftermarket necks have similar things. Try some out, and if you don't like them don't buy them. I bought my tenor for 1400, and if I had tried out a horn that sounded as good as mine does with the Gloger, I would have shelled out an extra 700 for it without a thought.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,418 Posts
ammon said:
....They are expensive - I think the silver ones (which, by the way, are the only ones that musicmedic carries in stock and can be ordered right away) are about 700 and change...
Ammon, thanks for the kind words about the Gloger necks. Just to be clear, when you wrote looking for a neck, silver is all we had. It is not all that we stock. Actually we stock very little. Karsten, who I have had the pleasure to spend a great deal of time with, hand makes each neck to 'order'. Sometimes, I can get him to make me necks that are not for customers. These necks I can keep in stock. I usually don't ask for anything too specific, I might just ask for "Conn Tenor and Baritone necks" in hopes that he is making one for someone else and will make me one too!

So, if you Email me and I have a neck in stock it's really a blessing. I usually tell them to order it right away and send it back if they don't like it. Currently there are not too many necks in stock.

Ihoffman, I have had a few people order necks like Conn necks with different curves. Karsten is hesitant to do this but he will do it. I wonder if any of the guys that ordered necks with different curves are reading this. If so, please chime in. If you want to try a modern neck on the 10M you should be able to do so with a friends modern Tenor neck and some plumbers tape. If you don't have any willing friends, I also have a number of modern necks here in stock if you like, I can send you one to try. Email me or click that banner at the top of the page.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Curt - sorry for the misunderstanding. In any event, my experiences both in dealing with MusicMedic as well as playing the new neck have been nothing but overwhelmingly positive.
Ammon

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
lhoffman

Another option would be to get the neck of your "Tranny" re-angled. Ernie Sola did this to my 10M and its really a great modification, which, along with lowering the strap hook and replacing the thumb hook with a modern (i.e. Selmer styled) thumbhook (and in the case of my horn several other things), substantially improve the ergonomics of the horn. Frankly, I don't know how he did it, other than it involved removing the tenon or tenon receiver from the horn and re-attaching it an the desired angle. Since the change is pretty small, the overall length of the horn is not really affected. Check with your repairman about this one. If he/she doesn't do this sort of work, I'd suggest contacting someone like Curt or Randy Jones.

You may find that the horn won't tune with a modern neck, so be careful. I had a Gloger (from Curt, who was great to deal with) for another 10M which worked well, but the curve was the same as that of the stock neck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have a Gloger neck on my Alto tranny. Perfect fit. Horn is more responsive, and sounds better. I give Karsten my highest recommendation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts