Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old LaFleur tenor still isn't playing right and having taken it back to the shop that repaired it, it seems that a much more involved repair is actually necessary. Basically it's a cheap old horn which really isn't worth spending any more money on, so I'm seriously considering buying a nice new instrument.

I've looked at and played few tenors today. Three that are in my price range and seem to play very nicely are:

Sakkusu (supplied with Yamaha mouthpiece) - would match my Soprano
Trevor James The Horn Classic
Trevor James The Horn Revolution II

Any thoughts on these?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm replacing my existing tenor, not necessarily upgrading.

My understanding is that things have moved on significantly since I bought my LaFleur in the early 1980s and the horns I mentioned will be a big improvement on what I have even if it was playing properly.

I'm happy to be corrected on that though. I just play saxophones, I know nothing about the mechanics of the instruments.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
it might be worth taking a small step up, so maybe look at a yani 901?
it's their baseline pro model and they aren't huge money

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I would take a close look at what you can get used for the cost of a new one of the named horns.

I suspect you can do better for round about that £500 / $1000 range, and certainly get a top horn for less than $1500.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the comments so far, thanks guys.

The Yani 901 was one that I played and I couldn't really find any big difference in playing that and the student models. Certainly not over twice the price worth of difference. What would I be getting for my money with the Yani 901 which I wouldn't get with the other horns I mentioned?

As far as second hand goes I have already decided to buy a new sax complete with guarantee and peace of mind. I would just feel happier and more confident with a new instrument. However, as I already said, the comment on buying secondhand is very much appreciated.

Does anybody have any comments on the three models that I mentioned in my opening post?

·
3,310 Posts
I think its worth reconsidereing the new vs used thing.

Most people here would agree that a MkVI is a pretty good horn, or an SBA, or a Super 20, or a Aristocrat....and none of those have been made in years;)

Even my favourite bang for the buck B&S horns stopped production in 2005. Thats another great value top class horn.

Before that I used a couple of Antigua Winds horns, and they were pretty good for the money and fall inside your budget by the look of it.

Sorry, Ive no direct experience of the ones you mentions. I believe the TJ horns are made in Taiwan, and similar sort of quality to Jupiters, Antiguas etc. They are mentioned fairly often here by Brits, but dont have their own sub forum yet. Not common on this side of the atlantic.

A few well respected brit posters here have been very positive about the chinese Wallstein and Gear 4 Music Horns, which are distributed out of the UK. They might be worth adding to the short list if you must go new and mid range budget. Could save enough for a good mouthpiece that way

sax.co.uk is only a stones throw from Hailsham, go and try out a few brands and see whats best for you? Thats the advantage of living in a small country...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
sax.co.uk id a great idea actually! i didn't think of that.
try the yanis again side by side with your boosey, try different mouthpiece as well, i think you will notice a difference, they are baseline pro models and are excellent horns.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
With the Yani you would be getting superb japanese craftsmanship,excellent intonation,great response, and a very flexible tone. A great buy for your money!!!!!!

·
3,310 Posts
The intonation and build quality of the Yani or any other top horn are perhaps two things that might not stand out at first glance, especially if you are not using a tuner to compare horns and dont have perfect pitch.

Even then you might be automatically compensating out of habit for some notes based on your old horns quirks and that could put the tuning out on a good horn without you thinking about it.

Stuff like the quality of the springs and point screws and pads, and the play in the mechanisms is also likely to be a lot better on a more upmarket horn when you look closely.

The most striking difference between my Antigua horns (good value intermediate horns) and my B&S (true pro horns) is the evenness of the tone top to bottom, and the lack of play in any of the mechanisms. There is also a lot more adjustment mechanisms built into the B&S (like stack key adjustment screws), and of course the no stick G# mechanism is a great feature too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sax.co.uk is where I'm going to buy my new sax and is where I went earlier this week to try a few. They are very friendly knowledgeable and helpful. They are also happy for me to play any sax they have. Nothing is too much trouble, I can take as long as I want and there is no pressure whatsoever.

I just discovered that the Trevor James horns come with a 5 year warranty. Sax.co.uk also do a 0% interest hire and buy scheme on the horns I mentioned.

I'm tempted to try out that Yani again though. Perhaps there is more of a difference than I thought.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Can I put a couple more names in the hat?

At £350, the Walstein tenor gets very good reviews (here's one, and here's a comparison with a high end Yani). You might have to wait a little while to get hold of one, but you do get 7 days to try it and send it back if you're not happy.

Yamaha student horns also come highly recommended. They cost more, but if you shop around you can get one for £630 or (from the place I bought mine (recommended)) £665 with a load of (very useful) BG cleaning products. Both these outlets also have trial periods.

(I'm a newbie, so discount my advice accordingly!)

I bought a mpc from sax.co.uk recently and can vouch for their friendliness, professionalism and facilities. Nice people.

Best of luck with whatever you end up with!

Frank

·
Registered
491 Posts
Vince said:
... if their Website was available ...
I see what you mean.

They seem to have something of a reputation here - opinion is divided a bit - and, last time I looked, they had some ex-demo (I think) items even cheaper.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
Vince said:
As far as second hand goes I have already decided to buy a new sax complete with guarantee and peace of mind. I would just feel happier and more confident with a new instrument.
It sounds like you may be concerned with build quality and reliability, which you certainly should be, especially considering your experience with the cheap Lefleur tenor you had. Here's the thing: You'll be far better off in this respect with a "second hand" vintage horn of good quality (Buescher, Conn, Selmer, Martin, King, etc) than another cheap new horn.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I'm coming close to making a decision.

I'm tempted to get my old horn repaired as a backup then buy a new Trevor James The Horn Revolution II as my main horn.

The difficulty with this idea will be explaining to my wife why I need the new instrument as well as having my old one fixed.

I still have some more shopping around to do and a few saxes that I want to try again. I'm very tempted to get my old one fixed while I'm making up my mind on the new one though.

·
Registered
491 Posts
"Soprano - Sakkudu Straight, Yamaha mpc. (Getting it for Christmas)"

Bless!

:D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Oh, and I suggest:
"Darling, I need a backup and - should there be a problem with the new horn - having one available will be much cheaper than having to buy one then."

"I need the new one because the LaFleur is holding me back. I could never get rid of the LaFleur because (try to blush at this point) it reminds me of you."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts