Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got a free mouthpiece from buying a sax on ebay. It is a Rousseau Metal Jazz 6.

It plays alright, but it ain't really my type. Its kinda roughed up though. The biteplate is completely worn down to the metal where the guy set his teeth, and pretty much all the metal is corroding along the sides and stuff.

So I want to sell it, but due to its condition I highly doubt it'll go for much.

So is there any way I could at least fix up the biteplate on my own? Then I could just give the rest of it some polishing up and try to sell it.

Also how much would you think a rousseau metal jazz woudl go for used? I think they normally retail somewhere along 200 new. So I'm thinking probably somewhere along 50-100. Does that sound about right?

thanks for any help
-kaplac

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that Mojo

I did a search before I made this thread, but I didn't make bite plate two words so I came up with nothing.

So 2 part acrylic epoxy it is!

Now how about replating gold. Like just spot repairs and such like techs would do for worn out keys on plated saxes?

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I have tried brush plating and dip plating. See Caswell for kits.

I could never get a thick enough layer with most of my brush plating attempt. It is OK for cosmetic repairs but not god for a surface that gets rubbed often.

I have some photos on my site showing small-scale dip plating.

·
Registered
275 Posts
kaplac said:
Any suggestions?
Phil Barone http://www.philbarone.com replaced a bite plate on my Guardala LT Super King tenor piece about 8 months ago. He even replated it for me, turning it from a silver-plated mouthpiece to a gold-plated one. The WWBW Guardalas are notorious for their bite plates falling out. Phil did an excellent job and what he did to the piece still looks good. The material he filled in the bite plate with is very tough and will not pop out. I highly recommend him if he's not too far behind filling his mouthpiece orders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts