Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed recently that I get a bit more resistance on my soprano's bent neck than on the straight. I prefer the bent neck position, but I don't like the extra resistance. So I'm looking for a less resistant bent neck for my Antigua 590 soprano, but I'm not sure what will fit. Since the horn is based on a Yanagisawa 901/991 I'm wondering if a Yani neck might fit. I found a post where someone used a Yani 880 neck, but those don't pop up very often. I'm also considering a Yamaha G2, which is supposed to be more "free blowing." Has anyone tried either of these, or any other necks, on an Antigua Winds? Could anyone measure their soprano neck tenons and help me out?

The Antigua neck tenon diameter is 16.79mm/.6615".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-...hash=item2397acd36b:m:mr3hOegFIrzU6UQby3IBmZw

Whew, I'm beat!

Oops, I realized too late that you're not really looking for replacement necks but you want to try an upgrade. I guess you'll just have to spend the cash and try one. In my experience with a Chinese baritone copied from a B-901, a real Yani neck, even a Sterling silver one, made no improvement whatsoever. Maybe that special Yani neck will do the trick for you but in case it doesn't, you risk being stuck with it for some time.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-...hash=item2397acd36b:m:mr3hOegFIrzU6UQby3IBmZw

Whew, I'm beat!

Oops, I realized too late that you're not really looking for replacement necks but you want to try an upgrade. I guess you'll just have to spend the cash and try one. In my experience with a Chinese baritone copied from a B-901, a real Yani neck, even a Sterling silver one, made no improvement whatsoever. Maybe that special Yani neck will do the trick for you but in case it doesn't, you risk being stuck with it for some time.
I realize that my horn isn't top-of-the-line, and also that trying before buying is preferable, but I also realize that I can't be the only person to have this question. People discuss aftermarket necks for their altos and tenors all the time. I thought it might be worth asking about soprano options. As much as I'd love to upgrade the soprano as a whole, I'm stuck with what I have for a while longer. I just thought I could maybe try a different neck to reduce resistance.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I really like my Antigua 590 but I don't like the bent neck, either. I like the feel of the angle but because I don't care for the way it plays I gave up on it and I leave the straight neck on all the time. I removed the upper insert from the case and I never take the straight one off.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
I realize that my horn isn't top-of-the-line, and also that trying before buying is preferable, but I also realize that I can't be the only person to have this question. People discuss aftermarket necks for their altos and tenors all the time. I thought it might be worth asking about soprano options. As much as I'd love to upgrade the soprano as a whole, I'm stuck with what I have for a while longer. I just thought I could maybe try a different neck to reduce resistance.
Believe me, it is possible. I didn't mean to dissuade you from trying. I always play the curved neck and never really considered the resistance because the straight one is out of the question for me - too much oboe. And your horn, being a Taiwan make, is more 'top of the line' than mine, which I bought direct from China - this is of no importance to the question. The only thing I can think of is to watch ebay and hope for a bargain on a Yanagisawa neck.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like my Antigua 590 but I don't like the bent neck, either. I like the feel of the angle but because I don't care for the way it plays I gave up on it and I leave the straight neck on all the time. I removed the upper insert from the case and I never take the straight one off.
I've been using the bent neck pretty much since I bought the horn, so I never realized the difference until I started playing around with my setup. I'd left the bent neck attached for years, removing for cleaning from time to time. I prefer the slightly different tone (and comfortable position) I get on the bent neck, but playing the straight neck was a revelation! My Rascher and Caravan pieces are already resistant enough, I don't need the neck giving me even more. I just really like the bent neck ergos.

The only thing I can think of is to watch Ebay and hope for a bargain on a Yanagisawa neck.
So far I found a reasonably priced Yamaha, but the kind seller sent me the measurements and alas, it's too wide. You mentioned that a Yani neck didn't help on your bari. I bet I'd probably have the same experience on the soprano. IIRC the Antiguas were touted as "laser copies" or something like that, and I assume that pertains to the neck as well. They just can't make it easy, can they?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
I've been using the bent neck pretty much since I bought the horn, so I never realized the difference until I started playing around with my setup. I'd left the bent neck attached for years, removing for cleaning from time to time. I prefer the slightly different tone (and comfortable position) I get on the bent neck, but playing the straight neck was a revelation! My Rascher and Caravan pieces are already resistant enough, I don't need the neck giving me even more. I just really like the bent neck ergos.
Have you considered keeping the bent neck and having the resistance dialed in on your mouthpiece? It's a balance. Talk to Joe at Soprano Planet to see how feasible this is.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you considered keeping the bent neck and having the resistance dialed in on your mouthpiece? It's a balance. Talk to Joe at Soprano Planet to see how feasible this is.
I could do that, but I'd have to do it on a couple different mouthpieces, and really the resistance of the straight neck is about perfect. I just really hate the horn position. I could probably get used to it, just thought maybe a different bent neck would be the easier fix.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
I could do that, but I'd have to do it on a couple different mouthpieces, and really the resistance of the straight neck is about perfect. I just really hate the horn position. I could probably get used to it, just thought maybe a different bent neck would be the easier fix.
I hear you. I opted to commit to a bent neck sop several years ago, and continue to love it for all its attributes.

G’luck in your quest.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
I had an Antigua and used a Yani neck. To my surprise, it didn’t make a ton of difference. Those horns are already close enough to the Yani that the neck didn’t really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
If you could get another, curved, stuffy-playing neck (like from another Antigua Winds or other marking of the same thing) then maybe a neck guru could address this issue (you'd want to have a spare on hand before you start fooling around with it). Getting a spare Antigua Winds neck, or heck, even an entire soprano that needs a complete re-pad, would probably be a lot cheaper than Yamaha or Yana necks. I think el-cheapo sopranos like this can be had for a few hundred bucks off Craigslist all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts