Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do I sometimes feel like Charlie Brown? Everything has to be a PITA for me, it seems... Some of you might recall me asking about obtaining a replacement neck for my Orpheo Signature bari. I have a couple of mouthpieces that have larger bores that don't touch the cork. I didn't want to use teflon tape (big mess and no one would mistake me for a plumber), but re-corking wasn't an option since it works for my favorite piece.

Music Factory Direct was suggested. It took a couple of months, but they finally produced one. YAY! When I opened the box, it was a gold-tone neck. I have the black nickel horn, but I wasn't going to get picky over a hard-to-get spare neck. So, not a problem... Breathe.... I noticed the cork on the gold-tone one was thicker, so I tried the offending mouthpieces and they fit perfectly. YAY!

With lightness of being, knowing my problem was solved at last, I went to place the Heaven-sent (well, MFD-sent) part into the horn. Then I tried again. And again.

Imagine for a moment when Yosemite Sam loses it. "RACKIN' - FRACKIN' BELLY-ACHIN' OOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" The new neck connector measures 22mm. The opening (and original neck) measures 21mm. BOO! There is no chance of prying open the receptacle that far, nor would I dare try. My wife is looking at me with obvious concern, as she is hearing the veins in my forehead throb.

With my millimeter gauge still in my hand, I had a crazy thought which needs feedback from you, my esteemed colleagues. The metal thickness of the original neck is 0.5mm, while the new one is 1.0mm. Can a well equipped repair shop tool the metal down to the required thickness? I know precious metals can be worked that way, but brass could have difficulties I would not be aware of.

I don't want to go through another 2-3 months of waiting for the right part if I can fix the one I finally have in my possession.

Thanks for any input!!!

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I good tech with the right tools can reduce the tenon size for you. Call around and see if you can find someone local. If you can't a bari neck will be relatively cheap to ship.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
You could just use your original Bari neck with O-rings over the cork to accommodate the larger mpc. And FYI: teflon plumber's tape does not have any adhesive or make a mess. Maybe I'm not understanding your problem with the original neck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the lack of clarity -- I meant that I make a mess of it! I can't seem to get the wrapping done well enough to have it hold and it's a grind having to do it, anyway. O-rings never even crossed my mind -- I'll look into that.

Keith, I have a local tech that might be able to do the job. Since I've gone to all the effort to obtain this thing, I might as well see if I can make it work..... And please forgive my total ignorance -- I completely forgot the "tenon" term in my fit of pique.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
The o-ring idea would probably just be a short term solution for you to try the different mouthpieces on your original neck. Some necks have been made with o-rings permanently installed instead of cork. Take your neck to a hardware store and buy a few different sizes of rings. They are inexpensive. If this works for you, please let us know.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I typically use masking tape. I goes on quick, is sticky enough to stay in place but is also easy to get off and leaves little residue on the cork.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All outstanding ideas, guys. I appreciate all the consideration and I'm sure I will get this right soon. Thanks!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
wa-wa-wa-wa-wawawa, Charlie Brown! That's what you get for "sticking your neck out"!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YEEEEOOOOWWWTCH!!! That was wrong, friend, sooooo wrong....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts