Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i have a 369K tenor king zephyr. The neck has several dents and i was considering a replacement neck. it is a double socket neck.
what are the options pls to find a replacement (old or new) and where could i get one pls?
any help or hint is greatly appreciated
Luc

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why replace the neck instead of removing the dents? A replacement neck will be very expensive. If you are unable to find a Zephyr neck, a double socket Super 20 neck will also fit. A new Gloger neck with a double socket will cost more than 650€.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Or Blazers-Atelier Tilburg (http://www.blazersatelier.nl) in the Netherlands would be a good option to have the neck repaired professionally.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
I always find these threads interesting.....I mean, as already noted by a few others....any half-decent tech with half-decent tooling can remove neck dents and pulldown, or whatever common malady the neck may suffer from. And there is zero evidence that a repaired neck is somehow compromised after the repair (actually there is just as much commentary that the neck played better after the repair).

One need not go to a guru or ship the neck off to somewhere....unless the damage is really, really gnarly.

This one in particular, with the double socket and all ? Unless you have well over $500 to spend on a new one...just find a reputable tech and have them work on yours.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
Why replace the neck instead of removing the dents? A replacement neck will be very expensive. If you are unable to find a Zephyr neck, a double socket Super 20 neck will also fit. A new Gloger neck with a double socket will cost more than 650€.
You’d be probably more unlikely to find a double socket S20 neck than a Zep neck and you can’t assume it would fit and intone the same anyway.
I had a mid 50’s Zephyr with a horrendously damaged neck that outplayed the two other Zephyrs I had at the same time.
One was a 55 model and the other a 48 model.
The damaged neck had been pulled down so badly that it had 2-3 inch splits on both sides that I crudely soldered up after trying to straighten the neck.
I couldn’t find a tech to touch it at the time, most thought it wasn’t worth the effort or just simply weren’t skilled enough to make the repair.
Since getting my S20 I sold all those Zephyrs and now enjoy a C# touch that doesn’t require super human strength to depress.
And just generally way better keywork.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,888 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from what i read is that it appears that these necks are not all that common.
the neck is for sure repairable and these days, one often balances between buying decent second hand or repairing (and the labour cost that goes with it that makes it often expensive)
thanks for the advice, i'll give the tilburg option a try when in the 'somewhat' neighbourhood.
Luc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts