Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
116 Posts
When considering , also note the location of the octave key pip . The older , original models' lever extends past the underneath reinforced bracing ( meaning the end of that brass bar octave key lever on top , is closer to the cork/mouthpiece area ) . Also , on the newer model necks , the length of the pipe is longer with the octave pip opening closer to the neck of the horn . The length of the tube and the location of the vent hole , along with the bore dimensions , might be what separates the original neck apart from the newer aftermarket models thus altering the tone/sound . I say this as I recently purchased a Purple Logo alto but the neck has a black tuning fork logo and I wondered if it was the original neck . Since then I have seen many Purple Logo bell horns with black logo necks . I was told maybe during the transition period , they stopped making purple logo neck emblems and the remaining Purple Logo horns got the black logo necks as they didn't pair necks to horns with serial numbers like Selmer once did . I was assured , based on the location of the pip , the length of the pipe and the location of thumb octave key mechanism bar ( newer model necks need an extension to make contact ) , that my neck was the original neck OR maybe at some point the neck emblem came unglued and it was simply replaced with a black emblem at the time . Shwoowind.co.uk has an article and photo of the two necks in question . Hub.Yamaha.Com also photos of the rear octave mechanism to illustrate . I hope this helps

1 - 1 of 1 Posts