Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I’ve recently damaged the neck on my 1988 YAS 62 purple logo horn and need to replace it. I’ve always liked the edge and bright sound of this horn for funk/fusion/pop etc and am wondering about the best neck to get. I’m using a Theo Wanne Durga metal 10 mouthpiece with size 3.5 Fibracell reeds. I tend to play dark and need a bright setup to compensate. Intonation on this horn isn’t bad but it can tend to be a tad sharp from around high C and up if I’m not careful.

I can get a G1 for a pretty decent price but have also seen some great reviews of the V1. I also see that Yamaha has the E1 and C1 models.

I don’t want a warmer sound than the original neck and don’t play much trad jazz. I want a focused tone with great intonation and easy altissimo. My main issue is that I live in Australia and there are no stores in my area (Gold Coast, QLD) - let alone state - that has Yamaha alto necks to trial. Even in Sydney and Melbourne, I’d be extremely hard-pressed to find anyone with multiple necks to trial, and so I’m basically going to have to go by the recommendations of you guys.

I don’t mind spending extra on silver etc but my primary consideration is tone and intonation. I’ve had the horn since 1989 and am gutted that I have to get a new neck but I’m getting what I need and not worrying overly much about the $$.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Cheers
Gary

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,812 Posts
A friend of mine replaced her missing Yamaha neck with a Selmer SA 80 .

I remember that the result was good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did try a V1 neck on a new yas 62 - it was a notably better than the stock neck. But I also find the new 62s are not as electrifying as the old purple label. If you can't get an exact original replacement neck, you may be pleasantly surprised with the V1.

SS

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve been doing quite a bit of research and believe that the C1 is the most like the original Purple Logo 62 neck. It has the narrowest note of the current Yamaha necks (C1, E1 and V1) and as such, should have the most focused sound of the three, which is exactly what I’m after.

All I need to do now is to decide on material i.e. brass or sterling silver. I think the silver-plated model (C1S) would be perfect (i.e. the focus of brass with a little brightness from the silver plate) but I’m finding it nearly impossible to track one down.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a quick follow-up to this thread: I tried a couple of different V1 necks the other day (2 x brass with lacquer and 1 in black) and there really wasn't much difference compared to my original neck. Interestingly, the 2 x brass lacquer necks were quite different and I liked one but not the other. All of the necks needed more air pressure to get the same projection and focus as my original neck. The other difference is that the V1 had slightly more resistance in the lower register (i.e. G1 and lower). Something else that really surprised me is that the octave mechanism on the body of my horn wasn't able to reach the V1 octave mechanism ring i.e. my horn would have needed a longer octave post if I'd opted to get the V1...which would have been incredibly annoying.

I preferred the focus and intonation of my original neck and luckily, my tech was able to adequately repair that neck in order that I can continue using it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When considering , also note the location of the octave key pip . The older , original models' lever extends past the underneath reinforced bracing ( meaning the end of that brass bar octave key lever on top , is closer to the cork/mouthpiece area ) . Also , on the newer model necks , the length of the pipe is longer with the octave pip opening closer to the neck of the horn . The length of the tube and the location of the vent hole , along with the bore dimensions , might be what separates the original neck apart from the newer aftermarket models thus altering the tone/sound . I say this as I recently purchased a Purple Logo alto but the neck has a black tuning fork logo and I wondered if it was the original neck . Since then I have seen many Purple Logo bell horns with black logo necks . I was told maybe during the transition period , they stopped making purple logo neck emblems and the remaining Purple Logo horns got the black logo necks as they didn't pair necks to horns with serial numbers like Selmer once did . I was assured , based on the location of the pip , the length of the pipe and the location of thumb octave key mechanism bar ( newer model necks need an extension to make contact ) , that my neck was the original neck OR maybe at some point the neck emblem came unglued and it was simply replaced with a black emblem at the time . Shwoowind.co.uk has an article and photo of the two necks in question . Hub.Yamaha.Com also photos of the rear octave mechanism to illustrate . I hope this helps

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi all
I’ve recently damaged the neck on my 1988 YAS 62 purple logo horn and need to replace it. I’ve always liked the edge and bright sound of this horn for funk/fusion/pop etc and am wondering about the best neck to get. I’m using a Theo Wanne Durga metal 10 mouthpiece with size 3.5 Fibracell reeds. I tend to play dark and need a bright setup to compensate. Intonation on this horn isn’t bad but it can tend to be a tad sharp from around high C and up if I’m not careful.

I can get a G1 for a pretty decent price but have also seen some great reviews of the V1. I also see that Yamaha has the E1 and C1 models.

I don’t want a warmer sound than the original neck and don’t play much trad jazz. I want a focused tone with great intonation and easy altissimo. My main issue is that I live in Australia and there are no stores in my area (Gold Coast, QLD) - let alone state - that has Yamaha alto necks to trial. Even in Sydney and Melbourne, I’d be extremely hard-pressed to find anyone with multiple necks to trial, and so I’m basically going to have to go by the recommendations of you guys.

I don’t mind spending extra on silver etc but my primary consideration is tone and intonation. I’ve had the horn since 1989 and am gutted that I have to get a new neck but I’m getting what I need and not worrying overly much about the $$.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Cheers
Gary
The G1 neck might suit your aspirations. I got one for the YAS62 I used to have and found it a bit brighter and freer blowing than the original neck. Yes, you will need to make an extension to the octave key pin which can be done with a piece of metal or plastic tube.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really should update this thread.

My 62 Purple Logo was written off by a drunken punter last Sept. I ended up getting a WO1 Yani with a non-standard Yani neck (can’t remember which model)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding the value of a purple logo YAS-62 neck I recently found one at PM Woodwind for $175
What condition was it in? That’s a great price.

·
Registered
554 Posts
What condition was it in? That’s a great price.
Perfect condition. My situation was I got a great deal on a YAS-62 sax (not a purple logo but an early one with the J shaped key guard on the bell), but when it arrived it had a G1 neck. Not a bad neck but took some adjusting in the upper register. I was lucky finding an original early 62 neck and plays much better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts