Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The previous owner of my YAS-61 made the unfortunate decision to insert an electronic pickup in the neck. It has been corked over, but I have to fight to get an acceptable tone. Now that I'm going to college, it's time for a new neck. I want one that isn't too expensive but still has a good tone. Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Are you sure it's the Neck's fault ? There are a lot of other variables (Reed, Mouthpiece, Ligature, Embouchure...) so it might be useful to find someone else's YAS-61 for Neck comparison first ? Or maybe your current Neck should just be patched CORRECTLY ? Good horns, so well worth investigating. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I have a 61 soprano with a pickup, and I can tell you that cork won't cut it. Different types take different plugs. Mine just needs an O-ring with a brass plug, and I went the extra step and sealed that up with a touch of silicone.
While you're at the tech's anyway, have them check out the horn. I have a feeling the horn has other issues beyond a poorly-plugged pickup. Once you get that cleared up I think you'll find that you don't need a new neck after all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The horn does have some small issues, but I tried another neck and it immediately sounded much better. Thanks. I'll get it checked out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As I can't start a new post, I find this post is the most suitable place for me to say something. How should I deal with this old yas 52 neck? Repair? Relacquer? Or simply buy another one?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts