Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
the neck cork on my corton (Yes i know you all hate them) has become worn and i have to push the mpc fully on to get a seal therefore i am unable to tune my sax. can some one please tell me if all neck corks are the same size and where i can get one, also what glue should i use to stick it on. please don't say take it to a tech cos i know the sax is not worth very much and i would rather save for a decent sax than waste money on this one. any advise on how to carry out this task would be very much appreciated maybe someone here knows of a site which will tell me how to do this. i am in wales in the uk.

many thanks
Valley boy

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
"Yes Virginia. Banner Ads do work!!!" :D

See that dirty big Banner Ad for Music Medic? It's up the top right hand corner of your screen. Click on it!

If you just want a quick fix, get some Teflon Plumbers tape from the hardware store.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,712 Posts
Music Medic has very complete instructions as well. So long as you can cut a cork save some money and get a sheet for 5 bucks and some change. I just did mine...rapid delivery as always from Curt.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I have tried many contact adhesives and find Evostick the best of what I tried. It is readily available in UK, eg from www.windcraft.co.uk or a hardware store.

I'm intrigued. Griff136, how did you know that Valleyboy was "this side of 'the pond'". Is there something in the profile that I am blind to?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
258 Posts
Gordon (NZ) said:
I'm intrigued. Griff136, how did you know that Valleyboy was "this side of 'the pond'". Is there something in the profile that I am blind to?
I don't know for sure, but maybe 'i am in wales in the uk' was a hint?:shock:

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Gordon (NZ) said:
Gordon, maybe those Evostik fumes are not as harmless as you thought. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, I did order a tube all the way from the UK and it does work quite well. My mental acumen is already so eroded by age that I doubt anyone (including myself) would notice a chemical's detrimental effect on my brain.

John

·
17,204 Posts
I have replaced my 1-second embarrassment with mirth. LOL!

Well it cold be the toluene in the Evostik, or the lead vapours I breathed when making fishing sinkers, or chewing the PCP-laden wax that leaked out of transformers and ballasts, or the dioxins from playing in the black smoke when burning the insulation off electrical cable, or the cadmium vapours from silver-soldering, or the mercury I evaporated in my bedroom, or the DDT my parents painted the kitchen ceiling with to kill the flies, or the lead paint I chewed off the kitchen chairs and bedroom windowsill (it had a nice taste!), of the accidental whack on the head with an axe - all as a kid.

I'ts a wnedor the biran slitl wkros at all!

Phrepas it is a tmnetesat to the anti-odinatxs pneesrt in teh vsat aunomt of fiurt taht I hvae eetan.

·
Registered
229 Posts
A neat alternative to a razor blade is a 'quilting cutter'. The ladies use them in making quilts. They are a handle with a cutting wheel attached. The first time you use one you will be amazed. The wheels are replaceable, but after 6 years of heavy use I haven't had to replace one. Pick one up at a fabric store.
Hans

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
hansmartini said:
A neat alternative to a razor blade is a 'quilting cutter'. The ladies use them in making quilts. They are a handle with a cutting wheel attached. The first time you use one you will be amazed. The wheels are replaceable, but after 6 years of heavy use I haven't had to replace one. Pick one up at a fabric store.
Hans
Just get one of those retractable knives with the snap off blades. Get the one with the blade about 3/8" wide. They work fine just as they are, but work much better if you "strop" them on a piece of leather with a smidgeon of fine valve grinding paste. Don't bother with jewellers rouge. It's too fine for stropping.
In all my time working leather, from paper thin Roo hide to 1/2 inch thick Red Hide, I've used, bought and even made dozens of knives. These little disposable buggers are the Dog's bollocks for any job.

I watched the Youtube clip and the bit where he uses a razor and repeatedly attempts to cut a bevelled edge, or skive, is more easily accomplished with a 1 1/2 inch chisel. If using a knife, you just place the job on the edge of the table and push as you would with a chisel. Easier and a more uniform result.

·
17,204 Posts
For cork, that is just what I use. Nothing better IMO.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
For those of us who need an "interpreter" when Dog Pants writes in "Australian" here is some clarification:

Bollocks
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Bollocks" is a word of Anglo Saxon origin, meaning testicles in British English and in Hiberno-English....(It is also used) as a noun to mean "top quality" or "perfection" (e.g., "That bike is the dog's bollocks!"). Owing to its versatility, bollocks has been called the Swiss Army knife of andrological profanities, in that it is the most versatile word in the English language.

John

P.S. (Where else but Sax on the Web could you learn the "Swiss Army knife" of andrological profanities?):)

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
hansmartini said:
A neat alternative to a razor blade is a 'quilting cutter'. The ladies use them in making quilts. Hans
Would those be the same ladies who "quilted" the vest you are wearing in your picture, playing your lefthanded saxophone??:colors: :colors: :colors: :colors:

·
17,204 Posts
jbtsax said:
For those of us who need an "interpreter" when Dog Pants writes in "Australian" here is some clarification:

Bollocks
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Bollocks" is a word of Anglo Saxon origin, meaning testicles in British English and in Hiberno-English....(It is also used) as a noun to mean "top quality" or "perfection" (e.g., "That bike is the dog's bollocks!"). Owing to its versatility, bollocks has been called the Swiss Army knife of andrological profanities, in that it is the most versatile word in the English language.

John:)
And perhaps one of its most common usages here in NZ (which is NOT Australia!) is as a stand-alone expletive, "Bollocks!', meaning "BS!". And it's not even in this list...
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sarah/content/slang.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts