Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just a quick question, I will be getting my new horn a YAS-875EX from America in the next week or two and am looking at possibly replacing my jazz mouthpiece which at the current moment is a Meyer 5M.

At the moment (see my sig) I play a Yamaha 275 alto and I just dont feel that the Meyer is giving me the best sound that I can produce, all my sax section however disagrees and says the meyer sounds very nice on top (I play lead alto).

I was thinking something along the lines of a super session but Im not sure, please educate me on the world of mouthpieces!. Ill try the meyer with my new horn out first of course but would prefer to find a mouthpiece that has a darker and richer sound for ballads etc, plus strong projection for big band. (The thin metallic sound in the high register doesnt really do it for me:p)

Any suggestions

Thanks guys

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi!

Cant comment or compare a Meyer as I've not played one. I recently changed from an ordinary ebonite S80 Selmer C* to a Super Session D, as I was looking something a bit brighter with more projection, and I have to say - DONE! :)

I tried Jumbo Java, Metal Otto Link, Ruynon and I much prefer the Super Session. I didnt want to go very bright and raucous so this was perfect.

Try it if you can, I dont think you will be disappointed!

Good luck

Jason

·
Registered
242 Posts
Change one variable at a time- play your new horn with your current mouthpiece. See how close you can get to the sound you want- it WILL sound somewhat different than on your old horn. Try to identify what the sound is lacking to your ear (if anything), and it will give you an idea of your sound concept. You will save yourself much time and frustration if you know 1) where you are starting from with what you have, and 2) where you want to go. It makes it much easier to figure out the path to get there.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Welcome to 875 world! The Meyer 5M should be a fine mouthpiece on the 875, but if you insist on trying other mouthpieces, you should definitely try the Morgan Jazz. I'd probably move up to a 6M or 7M. (I use a 7M on my 875.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,300 Posts
I agree with bkiser. But after that, and you still want to explore mouthpieces, do it. Not everyone has the same results, though.

My favorite Meyer is a 6S-Medium Chamber (I don't know if the chamber is really medium size, that's just what is stamped on the piece), followed by a 7M-Small Chamber. I also have a 6M-M that for me is stuffy and muddy-sounding. They all look the same!

I have a Selmer Super Session F that really plays nicely. It is a bit too warm and spread for my needs, but in the right room, it works great. I prefer a bit more focus, which I can get from a Selmer Soloist F, and a recently acquired Don Sinta piece when used with a Fibracell reed. I was told the Sinta has a tip-opening similar to a C*, but it fooled me (I usually prefer open tips).

The underlying message here is that you'll probably have to seek out and try/buy several pieces before you arrive at a decision. That's what I've done. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Dave Dolson said:
I have a Selmer Super Session F that really plays nicely. It is a bit too warm and spread for my needs
That's also my reaction to the SS versus the Meyer (even though I play a 6MM Meyer).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more question, are metal mouthpieces for alto sax worth looking at?, i mean plenty of people have advised me against it saying that the metal makes the alto sound more like a chainsaw but again more opinions please:D

Thanks again

Ken

·
14,300 Posts
Ken: The rubber vs. metal controversy has gone on for years. In MY opinion, the material from which a mouthpiece was made makes no difference. What matters is the tip-opening and the interior design, not whether the mouthpiece is metal or hard rubber. DAVE

·
Registered
241 Posts
As a personal thing.

I stay away from metal pieces because they are generally smaller. I feel that Rubber pieces aren't as bright (with the exception of a jumbo java which I own and never use haha The Metal Links are nice though on alto they have a big chamber to make them alot warmer.

Personally I use an early babbit 7* HR Link as my main piece. I tried it next to a super session recently and I thought the babbit gave me more flexibility of sound and to put it bluntly more balls.

Then again it comes down to you. What sound do you want out of your sound?
Do you want to move more air through your horn and get more for it with a simmilar sound? Get your peice either refaced or another meyer with a bigger opening. Do you want something darker? try a link. Do you want something brighter try a jumbo Java.

It all comes down to what you want

·
13,880 Posts
Material is a cost/comfort/durability issue. A stainless steel mouthpiece will last indefinitely, but will feel differently in your mouth, and a refacer will charge much more to alter it.

Play different pieces to see what may work for you and don't let material keep you from playing one mouthpiece or another.

To your original post, keep the Meyer for a while and see how it works with your new sax. It may sound different on your new horn, but limit your changes to 1 at a time so you can recognize what is actually making a difference.

·
13,880 Posts
benbyrne said:
I feel that Rubber pieces aren't as bright (with the exception of a jumbo java which I own and never use haha The Metal Links are nice though on alto they have a big chamber to make them alot warmer.
You disproved your own theory within the same sentence. It is the design which makes the difference, not the material.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,522 Posts
benbyrne said:
Personally I use an early babbit 7* HR Link as my main piece. I tried it next to a super session recently and I thought the babbit gave me more flexibility of sound and to put it bluntly more balls.
But what did the Link do for your sound? :shock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts