Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Does anyone know if there is a product available that is exactly like the Runyon Clear teeth and mouthpiece saver? The Runyon is no longer available and is my favorite. It does not leave glue residue on my mouthpieces as other products have done. The Runyon has “3M” on the peel off paper backing. I’m hoping to find a product just like it. Thank you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
I know Vandoren makes them, and that's what I use. Not too much of a mess when I have to peal an old one off. But you could also just look into what 3M might have to offer that you can cut down to size... and probably save some money so long as it's food grade material.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
If you're using a HR mpc and don't want any residue on it, the Forestone 0.4mm patches work really well. They stick well, but are easy to remove without leaving any residue at all. They don't stick so well on metal mpcs, though.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Jody Jazz patches use the 3M roll, I've been using them with satisfaction. The Vandoren patches are good too and they don't leave a residue.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
I'll need to scour through my past eBay purchases from about 3 yrs ago, but YES........the 3M stuff that whaler posted a link to IS the same. The seller I bought from was able to pre-cut/score the size I wanted for use as mouthpiece patches. I got about an 8 1/2 x 11" sheet from him and they're great.
woodshed, I think pretty much any mouthpiece patch you use will have some kind of glue residue. Yes, some are far worse than others, but this 3M stuff that I got leaves very little residue. Nothing that some goo-gone doesn't take care of in about 10 seconds.
If I find the exact seller, I'll post a link here.....

* I just looked......as far back as I could look at my paypal payments (back to Aug. 2016) and no joy. Sorry. Must've been prior to that. See if you can find someone who sells that 3M film and is able to pre-cut/score the size you'd want each patch to be. Yes, you could certainly just get a sheet and cut yourself, but it sure is nice just having to "pluck" them from the sheet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,412 Posts
You can get those with the 3M logo on the backing paper on Amazon too, a lot cheaper than anywhere else. The thin ones are still a little thicker than the 'BAY Vibra-Ease' which is my favorite and they are cloudy rather than crystal clear but certainly usable.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
I wasn’t planning on eating any of it but it’s the same stuff.
if it’s toxic and going in your mouth, you don’t need to eat it to have an issue....

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,008 Posts
I think pretty much any mouthpiece patch you use will have some kind of glue residue. Yes, some are far worse than others, but this 3M stuff that I got leaves very little residue. Nothing that some goo-gone doesn't take care of in about 10 seconds.
Yes, every type of patch I've used, including the 3M leaves some residue. EXCEPT the Forestone patches which leave no residue at all. None. They are designed to be removable and reusable and they are. Really good product. The one downside is they don't stick well on metal mpcs. But they work great on HR mpcs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
I was very happy, a while back, to see a post on SOTW that reccommended this 3M product for mouthpiece patches. It is indeed the same stuff as the old clear Runyon tooth patches, and cheap to buy. I just cut a strip about one inch wide and stick it across the beak of the mouthpiece. Then I trim the edges with a razor blade or an x-acto knife. This is a great tip.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
if it’s toxic and going in your mouth, you don’t need to eat it to have an issue....
Stan, all I know is that I've been using patches made from the 3M material for years now. Before that, I would buy the Charles Bay mouthpiece cushions (thin) in the 4 packs. I might even still have some in a drawer. Trust me, it's the SAME material. Now, I'm not a scientist and haven't had a lab test done on them, but I firmly believe there are many.........MANY things we are all "exposed to" on a daily basis that pose a far greater risk toxicity-wise. Now if I put some pastrami in between two of 'em and have a daily sammich, maybe that would be a different story. ;-)
Why am I suddenly reminded of that tv show called "My Strange Addiction"? You know........where people eat couch stuffing, candy wrappers, styrofoam and other tasty tidbits...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Well, if it's meant for a mouthpiece and ordered through a distributor for same, you'd think 3M would take that into consideration with not only the material used for the patch, but the adhesive as well. But if it's made for a car bumper...

·
1,146 Posts
Trust me, it's the SAME material. Now, I'm not a scientist and haven't had a lab test done on them, but I firmly believe there are many.........MANY things we are all "exposed to" on a daily basis that pose a far greater risk toxicity-wise. Now if I put some pastrami in between two of 'em and have a daily sammich, maybe that would be a different story. ;-)
Why am I suddenly reminded of that tv show called "My Strange Addiction"? You know........where people eat couch stuffing, candy wrappers, styrofoam and other tasty tidbits...
the fact that there may be other things we’re exposed to doesn’t really have anything to do with this discussion...some materials are tested and considered safe, others aren’t...you’re welcome to consume whatever you like, I prefer to have an idea of what I’m doing ahead of time....

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
the fact that there may be other things we’re exposed to doesn’t really have anything to do with this discussion...some materials are tested and considered safe, others aren’t...you’re welcome to consume whatever you like, I prefer to have an idea of what I’m doing ahead of time....
Yeah okay........enjoy.

·
Registered
8,026 Posts
We probably consume more plastic and other crap when we eat a piece of fish than we’d get from a mouthpiece patch.
I play old vintage mouthpieces and I doubt they’re considered “food grade”.
The term makes me think it is for things which your saliva would dissolve. I think if that was happening you’d taste it.
I’ve had some old brown hard rubber mouthpieces you could taste. I’m sure that’s not good. Tastes like you've licked a match.

·
1,146 Posts
We probably consume more plastic and other crap when we eat a piece of fish than we’d get from a mouthpiece patch.
I play old vintage mouthpieces and I doubt they’re considered “food grade”.
The term makes me think it is for things which your saliva would dissolve. I think if that was happening you’d taste it.
I’ve had some old brown hard rubber mouthpieces you could taste. I’m sure that’s not good. Tastes like you've licked a match.
Great personal opinions, none of which has anything to do with the question I asked....way back in the post... a simple yes or no would have sufficed....all these justifications mean nothing...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts