Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,

I have a beautiful 1949 Martin Committee III alto that I need a new case for. It audibly slides around in the original case so I hate taking the horn anywhere knowing it could be damaged.

I've scoured SOTW for threads on this topic but haven't really found a definitive answer as to what it will DEFINITELY fit. A lot of people said the Protec MAX worked for them, but I tried my friend's protec with my horn and it wouldn't shut.

What else are Martin owners using? I prefer rectangular cases but I don't really care.

Thanks,
Nico

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I use a Hiscox Pro-II-WAS for my 1946 The Martin Comm III alto. Fits perfectly, ruggedly built, has a shoulder strap and well-made latches (which I prefer to zippers), and a styling blue velvet interior. Not a lot of extra storage, but that's fine by me.

Got it in open box condition at a serious discount from Brian at getasax.com, who was great to do business with.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine inhabits a Protec XL. The regular Protec is too small. The Protec XL fits, is a great backpack with lots of pockets. The space provided for the mouthpiece and the neck is too big and needs extra padding, but otherwise it is a good case. My repair tech also recommended Fusion (which is supposed to fit any sax).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Y'all,

I have a beautiful 1949 Martin Committee III alto that I need a new case for. It audibly slides around in the original case so I hate taking the horn anywhere knowing it could be damaged.

I've scoured SOTW for threads on this topic but haven't really found a definitive answer as to what it will DEFINITELY fit. A lot of people said the Protec MAX worked for them, but I tried my friend's protec with my horn and it wouldn't shut.

What else are Martin owners using? I prefer rectangular cases but I don't really care.

Thanks,
Nico
What did you end up going with? I tried one of the $38 "universal" cases from Amazon and couldn't close it. A tech here recommended the Protec XL. I'll probably order that as soon as I get my refund from the first one.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
I've got two different Protec cases, one rectangular and one contoured, and they both fit my Martin Committee (1) and Conn 6M just fine.

Some cases might need the padding compressed a wee bit in one or another location to be able to close, due to the detail design of the key guards, so I'd just do that. I'd rather have to do that, because with all the variants in design, a case that fits everything probably will allow everything to rattle around.

There are also cases, of course, that just flat won't even come close to fitting a horn with the bell keys on the left side.

If the basic original case is in sound condition, why not just strip the original "padding" out of the saxophone section and replace it with some foam rubber, cut to shape, and wrapped with some velvet from the local fabric store? I have done this a couple times. As for the fabric, you just take the big chunk of foam rubber (probably have to stack 2 or even 3 layers), cut a great big piece of fabric, wrap it around and tuck it in at the back. You might think you need to adhere it somehow to the padding, but you don't, it will stay in place quite well by itself. My baritone sax case has been like this for - gee, over 20 years now? with no problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What did you end up going with? I tried one of the $38 "universal" cases from Amazon and couldn't close it. A tech here recommended the Protec XL. I'll probably order that as soon as I get my refund from the first one.
I ended up going with an older Protec Tri-Pak I found on ebay. The case came with a clarinet and flute case, and since I don't double, I pulled them out and am using the extra space as a place for accessories. The case is still a little loose around my Comm III but it is MUCH MUCH better than the original and just as good as anything else I've tried. For $60 I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got two different Protec cases, one rectangular and one contoured, and they both fit my Martin Committee (1) and Conn 6M just fine.

If the basic original case is in sound condition, why not just strip the original "padding" out of the saxophone section and replace it with some foam rubber, cut to shape, and wrapped with some velvet from the local fabric store? I have done this a couple times. As for the fabric, you just take the big chunk of foam rubber (probably have to stack 2 or even 3 layers), cut a great big piece of fabric, wrap it around and tuck it in at the back. You might think you need to adhere it somehow to the padding, but you don't, it will stay in place quite well by itself. My baritone sax case has been like this for - gee, over 20 years now? with no problems.
I've heard a few members suggest this. I'm thinking I'll give it a try since the case is in pretty excellent condition. It just didn't fit the horn worth a damn.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Well, if you've found a replacement case, I wouldn't spend time and energy on refitting the original Martin case. You could consider selling it, as there may be a collector who wants an original Martin case. Or if you have room to store it, just stash it and if you ever sell the horn sell it with the original case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,642 Posts
I've made or modified almost all of my cases. One of the easiest things to do is to make "stand-offs" that secure the bell away from the sides (like in the 6th and 10th picture in this blog. The foam has to be spongy, unlike styrofoam that gives once and is crushed.

Making a totally custom case is more complicated, but if the sax is leaving my hands and sight it is worth the effort.

As a bonus, you will improve your hot glue gun technique.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts