Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My rationnel case is seriously dying and Id like to find a replacement for it, preferably modern. Any suggestions?

The top part is very thick, all the form cases won't fit. And I'm not a fan of protec in general.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
You don’t say whether it is an alto or a tenor.

You can try to get int ouch with Maarten Ornstein

http://maartenornstein.com

He has a tenor. Maybe he has something special for it.

When I had a Vito Model 35 (alto) it was ina generic case.

I wouldn’t recommend one. the horns shakes too much.

You don’t like PROTEC (I do, are you sure you don’t like the Protec Contour XL? ) and that’s all right but I don’t understand what’s not to like, The contours (normal and XL) are hard shell made of wood are incredibly robust ( I fell on it, my whole 120Kg that I weighed then, with the horn on my back and nothing happened to my horn) , they are protective and allow for lots of stuff to be carried.

Maybe an Hiscox would fit but forget about carrying all the things that you may want to bring with you.

·
38,840 Posts
I think the only option is a generic wooden case large enough or the protec contour XL.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Milandro!

Funny you mentioned Maarten, I literally just saw him 2 days ago at Nicos workshop and he was there with his leblanc tenor! Lovely guy had a nice chat :)

The thing is, mine is a full rationnel and not a leblanc system and the way things are set out on it will refuse most cases. Also the bell keys are still on the left side of the bell mind you.

About the protec, weight is my biggest enemy, I like how they are robust but if it weighs a ton, I'm not a fan.

Have we met before? I'd love to meet you one day since we are so close.

Cheers for the reply.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Maybe you could PM Uwe Steinmetz, who has a lot of experience with Leblanc altos.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Merci Dirk, je vais lui demander, d'ailleur j'étais étudiant au conservatoire de montpellier chez Philippe Braquart! :)

·
38,840 Posts
Hi Milandro!

Funny you mentioned Maarten, I literally just saw him 2 days ago at Nicos workshop and he was there with his leblanc tenor! Lovely guy had a nice chat :)

The thing is, mine is a full rationnel and not a leblanc system and the way things are set out on it will refuse most cases. Also the bell keys are still on the left side of the bell mind you.

About the protec, weight is my biggest enemy, I like how they are robust but if it weighs a ton, I'm not a fan.

Have we met before? I'd love to meet you one day since we are so close.

Cheers for the reply.

If you find the protec heavy then a lot of protective cases will feel even heavier. I have used them for all manner of saxophones and like them very much.

We can certainly meet somewhere sometimes. I don’t come to town as often as I did before but we can certainly meet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The thing is, mine is a full rationnel and not a leblanc system...
I've got a Vito 35 alto, with the rationale system. As I understand it, the only difference is that the LeBlanc has screw adjustments whereas the Vito has corks. Is there more to the full rationale?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
By the way, Pro-tec cases are not heavy. They are usually lighter then the manufacturer’s case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
I've got a Vito 35 alto, with the rationale system. As I understand it, the only difference is that the LeBlanc has screw adjustments whereas the Vito has corks. Is there more to the full rationale?
A lot more.
Anyway, the Protec XL will most probably work. I use a Winter case but my tenor is a System, not a Le Rationnel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts