Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I play on a collegiate level, and play Classical Alto and Clarinet and Jazz Tenor, This question is of course applying to Classical repertoire not Jazz but I do enjoy jazz also.

Recently On Alto I've played The Anderson Sonata and Paul Creston Sonata which both went very well for performance, and had loads of fun and learned lots.

I've been interested in the Hindemith Sonate for Alto Sax originally written for Natural Horn but wasn't sure if it's really a serious piece to be taken for performance but wanted to hear opinions and other suggestions. I enjoy playing more musical than technical but I'm looking for both/either.

Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
All of the big music schools with saxophone studios will have a required list of repertoire. Learn them all. The more you can get under your fingers the better. Also, if you have access to a rehearsal pianist and intend to teach in the future, play through all of the collections you can find. These will be what you can use for a lot of your students. If there is a concerto competition in your area, I would find a piece and learn it. Playing a solo with orchestra is lots of fun.
The Hindemith is ok for learning a style, but if you like that kind of writing the Duet he wrote is a much better piece of music. Great pieces without extended range or multi-phonic's include Debussy, Heiden, Bozza, Lantier.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for accuracy the Hindemith Sonata was originally for Alto Horn in Eb (in Britain it would be called a tenor horn), not a natural horn.
Thanks for the info and I saved the PDF.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
There is also a list of selected literature at the back of Larry Teal's Art of Saxophone Playing. The list is somewhat dated, but it gives solos that are graded as to level of difficulty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts