Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently moved to LA. Does anyone know of a good person to go to in the area to do general maintenance (pad replacement, tune-up)?

Thanks!
th3bl0b

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good......or Really Good.....or Really, Really Good?

I know Sam Ash in Chatsworth(?) has a tech. Never used them, heard he was a "know-it-all", but isn't.
Nick Rail's have techs. Used them for daughter's school sax'es....which they do for a lot (school instruments).
Baxter's in Van Nuys, never used them but heard they're good.
Manny at the 'Horn Connection'. Heard he is VERY GOOD, but a bit far & can't justify his price.....yet.

It's a start.

·
Registered
300 Posts
What area of LA are you in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for getting back to me! I'd like it to be a pretty good tech, since my saxophone has a couple after market changes on it.

I don't want to spend too much money on it, seeing as how saxophone is just a hobby of mine. I got a quote for someone for pad replacement that was $500, but would take a couple weeks. Is this about the standard price for a sax tune-up?

I go between Irvine and Pasadena/Arcadia area.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Call Randy in Fullerton. 714-992-6633.
Tell him you got a number from Charles.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
Good......or Really Good.....or Really, Really Good?

I know Sam Ash in Chatsworth(?) has a tech. Never used them, heard he was a "know-it-all", but isn't.
Nick Rail's have techs. Used them for daughter's school sax'es....which they do for a lot (school instruments).
Baxter's in Van Nuys, never used them but heard they're good.
Manny at the 'Horn Connection'. Heard he is VERY GOOD, but a bit far & can't justify his price.....yet.

It's a start.
Manny at horn connection is a pain to deal with. Myself and I guy I toured with stopped taking our horns to him. He turned his nose at my horn because it is a Cannonball and he was always taking way to long to do the work on mine and my buddies horn. We where touring together at the time so we needed the work done on time. If you can get to South Orange County you should take your horn to Horn Improvement. Micah and Mike are nice guys and straight shooters. They also do very good work. If you call ahead and make an appointment you can get in before the store opens to the public. They also get there work done when they say they will, what a concept Manny should take notes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would suggest that you call Anaheim Band. They are real easy to deal with get work done on time and the repair work is great..... and they are not that far away from Irvine on the way to Pasadena.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Manny at horn connection is a pain to deal with. Myself and I guy I toured with stopped taking our horns to him. He turned his nose at my horn because it is a Cannonball and he was always taking way to long to do the work on mine and my buddies horn.
I concur. When our daughter & I went there he seemed content on talking to what I can only guess was a 'regular customer' while a mother & her son waited.
After what seemed like 15-20 minutes (which might not seem long unless you're waiting) he finally got to the mother/son, updating them on the status of their repair. That took all of 2-3 minutes. When it got to us, we were asking about curved sops. He told us he ONLY carried the 'top shelf' saxes & seemed to look down at anything else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I'll definitely check out the places you've recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts