Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this nice overview of the The Martin Tenor on YouTube. Matt is an expert sax tech and knows a great deal about the Martin horns so the things he points out about the Comm III tenor are good to know if you aren't totally familiar with these wonderful horns or even if you are.

One thing he points out is about the unique design of the octave key spring and the fact that there are actually 2 springs, one of which is a shorter stiffer piece of metal. As he explains in this video it's purpose is as a keeper to keep the octave key from opening too much and detensioning the spring that actually opens and closes the key. This is not an unimportant point, and in fact he has another video which is about that part of the horn and in which he shows how to remove and replace the key and the springs.

I discovered this video it a couple of years ago when I was having problems with my octave key leaking a minute amount. I noticed it because while playing the horn and focusing on the octave key--it's right in front of your eyes after all--I saw that it bounced up an almost imperceptible amount, which in fact is all it takes any key to leak. I Googled that and it turned Matt's video right away. I thus learned that my springs had somehow been reversed all the time I had the sax but the key hadn't started leaking until then so it had never caused problems. I bought the horn off Ebay and it didn't need any more than to be adjusted when I got it so this was never discovered before.

With that video to aid me I removed the key, unscrewed the springs and put them in the correct order with the keeper spring under the main spring. Once back on the neck the springs worked like a charm and solved the problem. So Matt's videos are very helpful for any Martin owner who wants to know more about their sax and what things to pay attention to on it or for the owners of many other vintage saxes that he is an expert about. He has videos on YouTube about many other saxes, so check them out for your other horns.

Here is his video on the octave key construction and repair.

I hope this post is helpful to any Martin owners out there who may not have known the details he mentions about their sax or not have seen the videos before. And of course all thanks go to Matt for his great work and helpful advice to the sax playing community. Matt's SOTW name, for those who don't know, is Abadcliche.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts