Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All :
After receiving my Otto Link STM 5* I have been trying to get a good sound from it, studying, making long tones..etc.. After reading this forum, I was thinking if it is possible to change the table in order to make the reed more open ( for example placing some film or very thin sheet of metal between the reed and the table , so the angle changes , to make the reed more open. I took my mouthpiece and started reviewing it , and found that the opening at the tip between the reed and the tip at the right side is bigger than the left side. I took out the reed and placed the mouthpiece in a very flat surface and took pictures , and there is a REAL difference.. this mouthpiece is more open at the right side than the left side.this a manufacturing defect. Is there any way I can repair it? ( I have access to Machining equipment, so I could do any kind of machining...)..it looks like the plane of the table was mis-aligned with respect of the top side of the mouthpiece.
I live in Venezuela, thereare no refacers here, and the cost of sending the mouthpiece by courier, the refacer fee , and the postage cost to return it...could be as expensive as a new mouthpiece. Any suggestion? I could post pictures of the defective mouthpiece...( at least... I found why I can not make this mp sound good)...but I would like to attempt to repair it...is it possible? Many thanks in advance... I do not want to reface it ...only to repair it...

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought this mouthpiece by mail from Saxplus , so I could not try it before buying and ,as I do not live in the USA , it was bought by my niece, who later sent it to me.I am returning from many years without playing.. but I bought an HR Vandoren T20, also, and it sounds much better than Otto Link..I prefer metal mouthpieces...so , do not recommend me to stay with the Vandoren.. How can I repair this Otto link , misaligned?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I too have purchased an Otto Link STM NY 7* that was misaligned in this manner. The two pieces appear to have been put together incorrectly at the factory. I sent it to Phil Barone for a reface (he did more than just a reface), but it needs more work as the low D is still very stuffy. The baffle is uneven, as you say, and so is the chamber.

Unfortunately, most off the shelf Link STMs are merely blanks. Some of them are bad blanks, apparently.

I would think you would have to send it to a skilled mouthpiece refacer to make it play well.

Best of Luck! :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hello from Hong Kong.

Yes, some pictures will help understanding the situation better. However evening the tip out does not imply the tone will get better. Other factors will also affect the tone/response.

I tried refacing a couple mpcs myself and only one ended up playing "better" than before. Refacing is full of fun, and I hope I can pick it up again when I have time. But the first 10 to 20+ attempts will most likely fail - and by fail I mean total loss. Before you know what's going on, those attempts would only be like a shot in the dark.

If you have plenty of time, read a lot of materials, get correct set of equipment, do a lot of investigation and ideally get a couple blanks to try on first. http://www.MOJOmouthpiecework.com is a good place to start.

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Yes, some of them can be really great right out of the box, while some can be so uneven that you wonder if someone stepped on the side-rails at the factory before it was sent out. It's too bad, but sometimes you can find really good ones if you get the chance to play on a bunch at a music shop before picking one out.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,943 Posts
As an obvious manufacturing defect you should be able to return it under warrantee. A good store would also hopefully refund your postage once they see it is a real defect. Ask them to check the replacement mouthpiece before sending.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks for your comments. I am taking some measurements with high precision micrometers and taking more "macro" pictures in order to send them to the store to ask for a replacement of this defective mouthpiece. Thanks again.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just in case, if I can not get the mouthpiece to be replaced .is there some refacer that can fix this mouthpiece and also, to open a little to convert it to a 7* ? Thanks again

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
You are better off not opening a Link that far. The tip gets really thin and hurts a lot when you eventually hit your lip with it by accident. If you are buying a new piece you are better off getting one the size (or at least in the size range) that you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts