Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...I'm a woodwind (and basic brass) repair tech and teacher (former band director) relocating to Northern Maine. Wondering if anyone knows what kind of options are up there? Both for teaching and repair work. Is it in demand? Anyone doing that uo there whose clientele I would be stealing? (I have ethics; that's not my thing) Also, does anyone know how international business is done? We'll be right at the Canadian border. I'm leaving a job as the in-house repair tech at a local music store in NY. Actually, they replaced me without telling me while I was out on medical leave, but that's beside the point. Any advice or information at all about the area, culture, business opportunities, or things to avoid would be more than welcome. Sorry if this wasn't the forum for this kind of post, but I was unable to find anywhere more appropriate to ask about it.

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Hi! I live in Northern Maine and can tell you that Id LOVE to have somebody in the area to take my horns to! Would love to chat and find out when you’ll be up open for business. There is definitely a need ..... the one repair tech that used to service all the schools in Northern Maine died about 2 years ago, leaving many band directors with nobody to go to.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm moving up to Presque Isle with my fiancée at the end of the month. Am not sure about the procedures for incorporating up there; had been the in-house repair tech at a local shop down here so never needed my own business...subcontractor. I can start taking work on woodwinds pretty much when we get up there, after we get settled, so probably end of October, to be realistic. Probably also need to order parts for whichever brands the local districts are using, because the store I worked at only used one company's horns, so most of my parts fit them rather than common brands like yamaha or bach or selmer.

It's great to know there's demand up there, though I'm sorry for the loss of your old repair guy. On my own I have a client (former student) whose vintage buffet clarinet I restored if anyone wants to see examples of my work.

Am a former elementary/middle school band director myself; nine years in the inner city before burnout kicked in...I know what destruction happens to those poor horns lol 😉 Give me a month or two, and you guys will be back in business for a "repair guy"

Thank you so much for the information...I'm already getting excited to be back at work!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.