Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a rough night last night. It was the first time I've dropped a mouthpiece. Of course, I wasn't standing over carpet, or hardwood floors, but concrete. And of course, it landed perfectly and sickeningly on the tip. Just like a dart, a beloved $250 SR Tech Fusion dart. No rattle or clang, just a dull thud as the full weight of the mouthpiece drove the tip into the concrete. Maybe you can tell I've replayed the scene a few times in my mind.
So, has anybody had any experience with repairs like this? The tip isn't just bent, it's gnarled.
Interestingly, while I was quite happy with the sound I was getting, there were times when I would think, Maybe this piece could be a little more open, or I think my embochure could have better control if my mouthpiece had a different shape. Plus I've recently switched horns, moving from an Conn tranny to a newish Yamaha Custom. I could go with the silver lining here and try to find a piece I like even more, though this particular piece I chose after spending a day at WWBW trying about 10 different brands, then every SR they had in stock. So, any suggestions? I tend to go for the high-baffle types, though Dukoffs always seemed to have a raspiness I couldn't get past. I almost went with a Ponzol that day (the M2, I think?), to give you an idea. What do you think?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
lhoffman said:
...there were times when I would think ... I think my embochure could have better control if my mouthpiece had a different shape.
And now it does! ;)

Seriously tho', this is the time to contact a good mouthpiece tech. That's EXACTLY where I started the whole refacing interest - I dropped my Morgan 3C on its tip on a tip floor. And that set me free to get it refaced with no worries.

Check out HonkBopSax's webpage regarding his ol' Dukoff. http://honkbopsax.blogspot.com/

He went with the Mouthpiece Guys but many could do the job. Give it a chance. You've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rex Olsen has done good work with mangled Links. He is listed among the refacers on Theo Wanne's site. Don't expect the mouthpiece to be exactly the same no matter who does the work. Once metal is bent it can't remember it's way home.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
gwindplayer said:
Don't expect the mouthpiece to be exactly the same no matter who does the work.
Yes, it will be different - maybe better.

gwindplayer said:
Once metal is bent it can't remember it's way home.
That's why someone needs to show it the way. The good news is that once it's there, it will stay (until dropped again). ;)

(No, we don't need to get into a talk of residual stresses. New mouthpieces have them too.)

·
Registered
591 Posts
You never know what can be done to repair a mpc. A few years ago, I had just recieved a NYLink that had been altered by the late Jon Van Wie. I dropped it on its beak the first day and thought it was lost. I took some pictures of it and sent them to him and he said he could fix and would do it for free if he could use the before and after pics on his website. Apparently he loved my photos.
Well the piece came back in a week playing better than before and I've been playing it ever since. Jon had the pics on his website as an example until his terribly unfortunate passing. It was very sad fro our community to lose Jon, but I'm sure many of the fine craftsmen who freqquent these pages could do a similar repair job.
Leave it to the pros and ask them.
Hell I once played a friends great sounding soprano and was told that it had been run over by a car, flattened and brought back to life by a good repairman a few years before. You never know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,402 Posts
You shot its resale value all to heck too, you know. I've tried to sell a discolored piece for five years, dirt cheap, no bites. I've got a babbitt that the tip's bent just a little tiny bit[from a drop to a concrete floor, btw], but I won't put it up for sale because even if fixed nobody will buy because it was damaged.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts