Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this clarinet a couple of a days ago, and it seems to be in pretty good condition. I know very little about clarinet repairing... and it seems to be quite a bit different than sax repair, so I decided to post some pics and ask for some advice here.

To my knowledge, there are 3 different problems with this clarinet. For simplicity, I've labelled them A, B and C.

A: I noticed that this post (located at the bottom of the upper joint) once broke off and sometime tried to fix it with crazy glue. Is this a decent way of fixing it? If it were a sax, it would be a fairly easy soldering job... but I can't imagine soldering into hard rubber. Is there some special adhesive/method to fixing a loose post on a clarinet?

B: In the first picture, the part labeled B seems normal. If you look in the second picture, when I push those keys down, they do not align properly with the holes. This can clearly be cause by 2 things: poor alignment OR there's a problem at the part that I labeled B in the second picture. That part rises up when the keys are pushed down, but it's rise is restricted by another piece that connects the upper and lower joints. So I'm a bit confused when it comes to fixing something like this. (My explanation for this problem may be a bit unclear, but I hope you'll understand)

C: Last but not least, the connection between the lower joint and bell seems to have chipped off. I do not have the part that broke off. Will it affect the sound much if it is just left like that?

I've also noticed that almost all the parts are worn or or torn and need replacement... It's going to be a pretty big job.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
MikeRoManiak said:
A: I noticed that this post (located at the bottom of the upper joint) once broke off and sometime tried to fix it with crazy glue. Is this a decent way of fixing it? If it were a sax, it would be a fairly easy soldering job... but I can't imagine soldering into hard rubber. Is there some special adhesive/method to fixing a loose post on a clarinet?
Several ways, depending on the exact situation. If the thread no longer grips at all:
- Superglue
- Epoxy, perhaps with a black pigment.
- Fill the area with grenadilla chips and superglue, or a glued or screwed in graft of grenadilla, then drill and tap for the post. Problem is, you screw the post home and its hole (for the rod) no longer lines up with the other post. This has to be overcome some how... Perhaps thread the post into the graft, THEN glue the graft in, or use a new, blank post.

Whatever, there should have been NO obvious evidence of the job being done, if it is done well.

: In the first picture, the part labelled B seems normal. If you look in the second picture, when I push those keys down, they do not align properly with the holes. This can clearly be cause by 2 things: poor alignment OR there's a problem at the part that I labelled B in the second picture. That part rises up when the keys are pushed down, but it's rise is restricted by another piece that connects the upper and lower joints. So I'm a bit confused when it comes to fixing something like this. (My explanation for this problem may be a bit unclear, but I hope you'll understand)
Whatever does not align or function properly, bend it judiciously (with appropriate non-marring tools, which most DIY guys don't have) until it does. Be very careful not to break off the tops of the tone hole chimneys!

: Last but not least, the connection between the lower joint and bell seems to have chipped off. I do not have the part that broke off. Will it affect the sound much if it is just left like that?
No it won't.
I have reconstructed these with black epoxy and pins inside for reinforcement, just like pinning an amalgam into a tooth.
Another approach is to cut off the tenon, bore out the end of the body to accept a glued-in tenon graft, and turn the graft to shape, both inside and out. Special equipment required.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
MikeRoManiak said:
B: In the first picture, the part labeled B seems normal. If you look in the second picture, when I push those keys down, they do not align properly with the holes. This can clearly be cause by 2 things: poor alignment OR there's a problem at the part that I labeled B in the second picture. That part rises up when the keys are pushed down, but it's rise is restricted by another piece that connects the upper and lower joints. So I'm a bit confused when it comes to fixing something like this. (My explanation for this problem may be a bit unclear, but I hope you'll understand)
The rings on the lower joint do not necessarily align horizontally with the tone hole tops - usually they stop a fraction above; and at this point the uppermost pad on the lower joint should be closed, and the bridge mechanism should lower the rings (and thus a pad) on the upper join too.
It is not uncommon for a Bundy (it is one, innit?) to have a bent bridge mechanism (the thingy connecting the upper and lower joints), considering the "audience" and environment. As Gordon said, carefully bend, and fine-tune with a bit of cork. Seems that the pillar on the upper joint got loose/ripped out and the bridge was bent at the same incident.
Oh yes, re the pillar: If the thread in the body was gone, I'd use epoxy (Araldite etc), glue the pillar in in situ (mounted on the rod) and once the epoxy's dry, clean up. Resonite is rather brittle, so be cautious. If there's some thread left, you can try a dab of slow-setting epoxy, screw the pillar in and cross your fingers.
I've also noticed that almost all the parts are worn or or torn and need replacement... It's going to be a pretty big job.
It usually looks worse than it is. You have to replace all pads and corks anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses, I actually read them through a few days ago, I've been just digesting the information.

I'm now starting to work on the clarinet, and I'll try to post a picture or two of the finished product... just for fun :)

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts