Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I have a "The Martin" tenor with a warped low C tone hole which is causing the pad to leak. I was told by a tech that repair would require removing key guard and filing the tone hole level. The problem is that when key guard is re-soldered the tone hole could come loose since it too is soldered on.

Is there any way to minimize the chance of damaging tone hole in repair process?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Sounds like that tech might not have proper toneholes "files". We use special "rotory" files which are very expensive, but generally do not require removal/unsoldering of the guard/guard feet to use them. Minimize residual damage by using the right tools and not unsoldering the guard.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
The JS diamond files Curt is referring to: http://musicmedic.com/catalog/products/js-s200.html

I use those files, and also another $1500 rotary tonehole file set from a company called Kraus.

If your tech DOES unsolder something, make sure he uses a product like Kool Jool or something similar (http://www.contenti.com/products/soldering/510-808.html) to protect nearby solder joints from the heat. However, don't count on Kool Jool to protect the lacquer 100%- it will keep temps down below soldering melting points but on old cellulose lacquer (like on an older Martin) the lacquer can still burn pretty easily.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,240 Posts
Thats a heck of a lot of heat to remove the tone hole if you just want to remove the guard!! Ask the tech to put away the welding equipement
Dave

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
It's probably got leaks anyway, from galvanic corrosion between the lead solder and the surrounding metal.

BTW, if the tone hole is well off level, then it is probably because the body has been distorted in the area. Best to deal with the cause, rather than use a bandaid that removes metal.

Some 'vintage' models can be a can of mechanical worms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts