Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looking at getting a Bari Sax but I don't want to spend more than $3000 on a Bari (Aspiring Low reed doubler and I still have to get a Bass Clarinet). I have looked a various models and played Chinese horns but I am prone to lean more toward a Yanigisawa Bari to complete my Alto/Tenor set. I have found one that needs a lot of work but with the cost of an overhaul it will still be cheaper than buying a brand new one. I need thoughts and advice what would you do in my situation. I play bari for a few gigs a year so I don't really need a lot out of it.

·
Banned
566 Posts
get the yanagisawa.this will still be around in 50 years time or more as they are great saxophones,doesn't matter which model.
chinese saxophones are bad for the environment as nearly all are rubbish throw-away-saxophones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
get the yanagisawa.this will still be around in 50 years time or more as they are great saxophones,doesn't matter which model.
chinese saxophones are bad for the environment as nearly all are rubbish throw-away-saxophones.
There's a repair guy in the Boston area who says he can almost always bring the good horns back to great playing condition, but the cheap horns these days are out of whack shortly after you get them home, and just from normal playing.

It should be a lot easier to get your money back out of a decent horn in 5-10 years. That guarantee gets a lot harder to make with something that's not going to hold up.

Steve

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
One of the best values I have found is look around for a used YBS-52 and get it fixed up by a good tech. They are great playing bari's when given a proper pc or overhaul---whatever it needs. Sometimes they are school rescues that have been traded in for a new bari at a music store. If the store doesn't have that much into them they will sell them "as is" for a good price. I have seen them as low as $2000, in fact I bought one for myself that was even lower than that from another tech who had several. If you are not concerned about the cosmetics, the dents can be ironed out, keywork tightened, and new pads installed for around $1000 or less and you will have a dependable, great playing low A bari that will last for years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts