Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just investigating the location of Louis and Lil Armstrong's Chicago home on 44th Street and it turns out that it's available for AirBnB rental: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21738134?guests=2&adults=2

Louis and Lil lived there in the 1920s before Louis moved to New York. They eventually separated and divorced. I believe Lil spent most of the rest of her life in Chicago, dying there in 1971, but I don't know if she remained at this house all of those years.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By pure happenstance, I stumbled onto at least a partial answer to the question of how long Lil Armstrong lived here. This is a scan from Lowell Thompson's Images of America: African Americans in Chicago. He has a different address in the caption, but this is clearly the house on 44th Street. It says the photo was likely taken in the 60s. Wouldn't it be interesting to know about the trumpet - Louis and Lil separated in the early 30s and divorced in 1938 and here she is all these years later being photographed with a trumpet that supposedly belonged to Louis.

Lil died in 1971, so it seems reasonable to assume that this is the home she was living in when she died (she collapsed and died about a month after Louis's death, performing at a memorial concert for Louis in what is now Daley Plaza and then was called Civic Center Plaza).

View attachment 217502

An album she recorded in 1961 also has a picture of her in front of her house:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts