Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rene guenot paris

Hello,
Did anybody hear of such rarity as Rene Guenot alt sax? I can't find any info on that honr. I have the opportunity to buy this sax - how much can it be worth?

What's the model and finish? unlaquered brass?

This is engraved on the instrument.
ESSAYE PAR MEYER GARDE REPUBLICAINE
RENE GUENOT PARIS-FRANCE MODELE 1929

Thank you,
best regards

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
heard about it once.
"Essayé par Meyer garde républicaine" means the thing should be in tune (with the right -- vintage ??-- piece). All the guys working for the Garde Rép -- the Presidential Marching Band if you wish -- were the best musicians selected by tough nationwide competitive exams (Marcel Mule was one of them).
This being said, that thing seems to need lots of work... pads look completely hardened... dunno if it worth the work for such an old sax... more of a collector's item -- you'd be the judge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,404 Posts
It's a great old Sax!!
Fix it up and play it!!
Certainly one of a kind!!
I've never seen anything thing like it!!!
Go for it!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Major BUMP!

My father passed away a few years ago, and we are clearing out some of his stuff. I found this Sax, and I could find literally no information online, on eBay, anywhere, only here. I tried to open a new post but with no success. So I decided to bump this one. I have several pictures taken which I have attached below. Any advice on this would be a great help to us. I know it is old, and there may be silver in its construction. It looks like it is holding air and stuff but I am seriously no expert, so anything is a help. I am afraid to list this on eBay when it is so rare and I have so little knowledge on the subject.
Below are some pictures I took of the actual sax.

Thanks everyone,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,029 Posts
Well...I have one as well, albeit a high pitch Alto.

Rare...can be defined many ways. Valuable is only one meaning of the word. Another being...few and far between....or...obscure.

I do not think these have much of a market value because they are both very few and very far between....and very obscure.

this thread was begun 5 years ago...and there is still no more info online about these than there was back then.

Perhaps contact Helen at bassicsax blog...she is really into obscure vintage makers and she may be able to help you out. Another member here would be Uwe Steinmetz.

But off the top of MY head....if you eBayed it it might get between $400-1000. I mean, don't expect that you struck gold and can retire anytime soon ;) If it was your Dad's, quite honestly it might be worth more to keep it in the family than to liquidate it for a few hundred bucks...

·
20,029 Posts
Interesting website...although, c'mon. eh ? Not exactly a clear and concise informational trove on the maker, is it ? ;)

I also dunno if I'd consider my definition of Rare to be 'a maker I have never heard of'. Guenot isn't exactly a household name and it isn't like there is a flood of 'em. I see maybe one or two on eFlay in a given year....

·
Registered
310 Posts
Interesting website...although, c'mon. eh ? Not exactly a clear and concise informational trove on the maker, is it ? ;)

I also dunno if I'd consider my definition of Rare to be 'a maker I have never heard of'. Guenot isn't exactly a household name and it isn't like there is a flood of 'em. I see maybe one or two on eFlay in a given year....
Hi JayPDX, I've just reread my post and see that I simply said that "The best source of info about French saxophones is Luthervents". I was just trying to be helpful to forum member reneguenot. I'm sorry if you construed that comment as meaning "here's a clear and concise informational trove on the maker Rene Guenot".

Regarding my definition of what I personally think of as being rare in the world of vintage saxophones, aside from Yamaha, could suggest the name of any saxophone maker, past or present, that could be described as a "household name" ? Please tell me that name and I'll ask the folks living next door if they've ever heard of that name in connection with saxophones and whether it is a name in familiar use in their household. The thing is JayPDX, these forum posts are just individuals, like me, expressing their opinions. I'm surprised you haven't figured that out by now.

·
20,029 Posts
Hi JayPDX, I've just reread my post and see that I simply said that "The best source of info about French saxophones is Luthervents". I was just trying to be helpful to forum member reneguenot. I'm sorry if you construed that comment as meaning "here's a clear and concise informational trove on the maker Rene Guenot".

Regarding my definition of what I personally think of as being rare in the world of vintage saxophones, aside from Yamaha, could suggest the name of any saxophone maker, past or present, that could be described as a "household name" ? Please tell me that name and I'll ask the folks living next door if they've ever heard of that name in connection with saxophones and whether it is a name in familiar use in their household. The thing is JayPDX, these forum posts are just individuals, like me, expressing their opinions. I'm surprised you haven't figured that out by now.
AC...I like your posts...I was just giving you a hard time :bluewink: (I can be a wise#ss, at times...I am surprised you haven't figured that out by now....:dazed:)

I mean...household name, though. I think it'd be fair to say in the world of musical instruments, most musicians have heard of Yama, Jupiter, Yani, Bach, Selmer, Conn, King, Getzen, Holton, etc....but that list would get to about 200+ names before one would hit.... Guenot !

Well in front of Guenot would be the likes of, oh, I dunno...Schenklaars...Dorfler & Jorka...Desidera....Adler...and Huttl, just to name a few.....yet most horn players have never heard of any of those, either....

Heck...consider that there are a fair number of saxists who have never even heard of a Keilwerth !

Your post implied that you didn't consider Guenot 'rare'. I was simply pointing out that...relatively speaking...in the sense of obscure or uncommon or very few around...these are pretty 'rare', actually. I just don't think they are 'rare' in the sense of 'very valuable'.

My comment regarding the Lutherevents site was not a poke at you...merely making the point that if it is a site which has the most info on Guenot...then indeed, there isn't much info out there on Guenot....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
7,960 Posts
Any advice on this would be a great help to us.
Well okay. From the photos we can see it's a tenor saxophone, probably made in the 1930s. Made of silver plated brass. As Jaye mentioned, it might be what we call "high pitch" in which case it's pretty worthless. Look near the thumb rest for initials (HP or LP), or it may have engraved '440'. These things indicate high or low pitch. The case is ruined and should be discarded. I don't know anything about the Guenot brand but would be surprised if it is worth much. Anyway, this thing will probably need major work to play music.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,
I just want to say thanks for all the information so far. We have so little knowledge of this, even things like the kind of sax it is are helpful.
In reply to JayePDX, we do wish we could keep this as a family Heirloom and maybe someone down the line might play it, but our financial situation is so dire we are selling things that are even more valueable to us to make mortgage payments.

Do you guys think if listed on eBay this will sell for a fair price?, that is all I am concerned about, getting a fair price for it.
If you have any more infomation that could help with the listing please let me know, and also if you have any suggestions on where I can go to let people know this is listed on eBay, websites similar to this, that would be great too.

Kind Regards,

·
20,029 Posts
OK, well....the first thing you wanna do is take the neck off, stand it up on its bow (that is the 'elbow' portion on the bottom of the body) and measure from the floor to the top of the body tube (the vertical 'cylinder' part of the body. It should be 29-1/2" give or take a few millimetres.

So if it is, you know it is a low pitch, or the standard Tenor. This makes it worth something.

I understand the need to liquidate. The economy and general financial context s#cks, nationally and worldwide, and it really ain't gonna get any better or anywhere near the point of where it used to be. Keep in mind, though, the horn may make you only a few hundred bucks. Consider how far that would get you, and what may be lost as a result. I dunno, a grandkid or great-grandkid saying "my horn used to belong to Gramps"...that's a pretty rich legacy....

Okay, so for eFlay...you wanna take around 8 or 9 pics: one of each side of the horn (with horn taken OUT of case), and one of the front (bell facing you) and back. Then a couple of shots of the keys, a closeup, maybe one on the upper portion and one on the lower. Then one of the neck, then one of the engraving on the bell (you have a good one already), then one of the bottom of the bow.

For description, you want to note any large dents: something the size of a quarter or larger. Also, describe whether the keys move up and down when pressed; do any stick ? Next, at the ends of the long key rods (called barrels) there are screwheads. Note if any of these appear rusted. Then note the silver plating wear...are there areas where the bare brass is showing through the silver ? Is this prevalent ?
If there is a serial number anywhere, and it would be small and likely on the back of the body tube, down towards the bow) note that as well (I would omit the last digit, using an X instead of the actual number ~ i.e. if the serial number iis 12,345...write it as '12,34X').

Lastly, look at the pads and note if any are torn or ripped. Note that it hasn't been played nor serviced in a long time so it likely does not play at the moment.

That would be a pretty accurate description.

I might suggest a $250 reserve, start bidding at $5. If that's not enough up it a bit. I do not think $500 is a realistic reserve, but again...if that is what you need to help out your financial situation...do it. It might come to the point where there's a price where it just wouldn't be worth it to you to lose the horn....

(If it sold for $250 and it was mine...I wouldn't feel like I really got a good payback on it, personally, as a seller of vintage myself).

You could also go no reserve and take your chances, although there'd be a half-fair chance if you did that you might only get around $150 or so....But you never know....there may be a few folks out there who really have thing for very, very old French saxes....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,409 Posts
Especially considering the condition of the case, the likelihood that this horn doesn't play as-is is probably very high. That means whoever buys it is probably going to have to spend some decent money to get it playing... along with having to buy a new case for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
Thank you so much for all the replies. I am going to list this tonight. I am unsure whether to list it on evilbay .com or .co.uk
Is there less chance of a bid at this side of the pond? More chance of a buyer in the USA.
Trust me if I didn't have to sell this, I wouldn't sell it, but I do. It's kinda like 8 weeks away from missing mortage payments type thing. But I will be setting a decent reserve, because hail rain or high water, I'm not giving it away for nothing.
For what it's worth (Coming from the lay man himself), it feels very good, everything is very tight etc... I am obviously expecting that it will require a bit of work, but it certainly isn't tatty (Now the case is a different story, that is tatty!)....

Thanks everyone, gonna get it listed now and will forward item number here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"QUOTE=JayePDX" OK, well....the first thing you wanna do is take the neck off, stand it up on its bow (that is the 'elbow' portion on the bottom of the body) and measure from the floor to the top of the body tube (the vertical 'cylinder' part of the body. It should be 29-1/2" give or take a few millimetres.

I took this measurement, it measures just shy of 28" ?... And there is no serial number on the sax...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.