Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I have a metal piece where the clear mouthpiece patch that was on it basically slid off and has left a ton of sticky residue. How can I safely remove it so I can put on a new patch?

· Registered
488 Posts
For METAL pieces I've always just used some mild dish soap and a non-abrasive cloth with warm water and gently swirl it away.
For HARD RUBBER pieces, I must say I learned the hard way one time to only use COLD water for cleaning those... unless you like greenish-brown mouthpieces! LOL.

· Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,506 Posts
Naptha not on sale in Ca
sure , cheap and works on most glues whereas other things may not, after all you rinse whatever little residue there may be off

WD 40 is also an excellent solvent

I suspect that some of the things mentioned above work mostly because of the energetic rubbing action to remove the glue rather than dissolving the glue itself

· Distinguished SOTW Member
4,657 Posts
i learned the hard and expencive way to be carefull what you use on hard rubber/plastic mpcs. i ruined my jon van wie beechler white diamond this way. mojo restored it to greatness again

· Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,493 Posts
I think solvents of any kind are best avoided - especially on ebonite / hard-rubber pieces.
I've used naptha dozens of times (at least) on HR mouthpieces without any ill effects. The friction from rubbing that you would need to get rid of the gumminess in the absence of any solvent would likely do much more damage than using alcohol or naptha ever could.

Moreover, "solvents of any kind" is ridiculously broad. Even plain water can act as a solvent.

· Registered
9,392 Posts
i learned the hard and expencive way to be carefull what you use on hard rubber/plastic mpcs. i ruined my jon van wie beechler white diamond this way. mojo restored it to greatness again
Yes, there is a solvent that eats black plastic Lakeys and Beechlers. I don’t recall which one. Start with a little bit of a mild solvent on those.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts