Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an early Selmer MK VI alto and am experimenting with octave pips. Had no trouble with removing the body pip, but the neck pip refuses to be unsoldered. I have applied enough heat to loosen the adjacent rocker guide and pressed hard from the inside, but it won't budge. Have Selmer used a high temperature hard solder? Are these press-fit very tightly? Suggestions that won't ruin the neck will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
Welded?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru
3,764 Posts
I was kidding but it sounds like there is definitely something going on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Selmer silver solder their crook 8ve pips in, so you will either have to heat it and the surrounding area up until red hot to remove the pip (once the silver solder melts) or cut it out and soft solder a new one in.

I've no idea or ever understood what their logic was behind this, but they should really be soft solderd in so they can be removed if they need to be.

Just a word of caution if you're working on any SA80IIs or SIIIs - they spot weld the RH main action clothes guard pillar bases, the high D/Eb/F pillar base and the thumbhook base to the body as well as soft solder them. Although there may be more parts tacked on with a spot weld that I haven't noticed.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I thought Selmer welded or silver-soldered some of the body vents more recently too.

Somebody asked them why they were not soft-soldering, and their reply was that the vents tended to fly dangerously around the room during buffing.

Hmm!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
I thought Selmer welded or silver-soldered some of the body vents more recently too.

Somebody asked them why they were not soft-soldering, and their reply was that the vents tended to fly dangerously around the room during buffing.

Hmm!
One (or more) probably hit the individual in the head who later made the asinine decision to silver solder them on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts