Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
In australia city of perth, and unfortunatley not a common thing getting sax's repaired here. The nearest place to getting a sax repaired is about 2500 kms away. My problem is I have a soprano with a very lazy rear high octave spring, I think thats the description the left thumb key. Ive found that the spring has near to zero tension in it, its very easy to bend so Im assuming for some reason its lost its spring retentivity. How does one remove these springs is it simply a pull and pry job.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
800 Posts
It is a very careful pulling and pry job.

Read some info if you can, it is not impossible to grip the spring and tap the tool you are gripping with and drive the spring out, however support the post and don't bend it or the horn!

I have in the past placed the horns post on a wood block and carefully taped the small plyers I was gripping the spring with using a light hammer. Do not twist it!
If they are flared on the end you will damage the post.
Most modern springs are end flattened so they wedge in the brass post to stay secure. When you install the new spring use pliers that can push it in and don't hammer them in. Less chance of bending the post that way.
Musicmedic may have the pliers....

·
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay first up I have a book that tells me what to do, its called the complete woodwind repair and overhaul manual but I never trust books always ask prior to doing it. Thanks for the link, I dont know what the keywords you used but thats fantastic. There not even in our local phone book. Ill give them a buzz tommorrow there like 30kms away. Ive been ordering little bits and pieces lately from sydney which is 4500 kms away. Not anymore
Appreciated
Steve

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, they are not disclosing their physical address on their web site.

That raises alarm bells for me for ANY business. And not in the local phone book? After being in business in the locality for 20 odd years? And saying he is a "woodwind" technician while including photos of brass instruments?

Hmm. May I suggest just a little caution. Ask other established local players who they use.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
808 Posts
To remove springs (that aren't broken) I grip the spring tightly near the post (about a couple mm away) with a small pair of 'vise-grip' type, narrow tipped locking pliers. Then I use another sturdy pair of needle-nosed pliers to squeeze the vise-grips and the post together.

This is similar to the method depicted on musicmedic.com but using the locking pliers instead of the side-cutters to grip the spring. This prevents nicking or cutting the spring.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
simso said:
How does one remove these springs is it simply a pull and pry job.
Unless you have a better quality (or any other) spring that properly would fit as it's replacement, why remove it?? Perhaps knowing the make/model would be help best, however my guess is that you should be able to "tweek" that spring quite easily. Most of these OEM newer springs (especially the thinner and longer needle springs) can almost be bent in a "U" without fear of breaking. Hope you can find a tech to help you.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Type - woodwind repair perth - into Google. There are several results for Perth WA

·
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, Im taking it in when I go to work tommorrow. I have removed and refitted the spring myself now. I asked because I wanted to make sure before I did it. It still doesnt play quite right however, g tends to every now and then jump into a high g, the only thing I can think of is one of the neck octaves is bouncing open under air pressure. It could also simply be the instrument and we dont know how to properly play it, but I doubt that bit. As is happens to all three of us. It has improved with rebending the spring because this in turn transafers a bit of pressure to the neck port but it still happens. Mechanically it appears all to be working just fine
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts