Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone (as a reed player) do a show from a remote pit? Hidden away in another room? With headphones and a video monitor setup...? I'm looking for "best practices" for making this work.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Several shows like that. But, I prefer foldback - not headphones. I have also conducted shows a couple of times this way too. On each occasion, we have had great foldback, rhythm section on headphones, brass, wind with foldback and drummer in a booth. Played Assassins, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Avenue Q, Honk, Into The Woods, Cats, Blood Brothers, And The World Goes 'Round plus a few others in different rooms. I have conducted Les Miserables with orchestra in different room and Dusty - The Original Pop Diva in different rooms. I have also conducted Les Mis from in front of the stage which I preferred but you can't always get what you need due to pit being too small or no pit or brain dead companies that don't care what is best or easiest, just what sells more seats. You need good production and sensitive audio techs. The biggest thing for me is the loss of dynamics. With a band in front often audio enhances the sound that is coming through. In a different room, audio love to compress mics which can affect dynamics negatively.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts