Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a vintage Dukoff Miami Florida Super Chamber 5 that needs converting to an 8*

I am usually in London but travel extensively around the world and have had Pillinger in Stanmore Middlesex (Outer London) recommended to me whom I am currently in the process of contacting to see if they can undertake the work.

If anyone can recommend anyone who can carry out this work preferably located in or around London or The UK I would be grateful

Alternatively if anyone can suggest whom in their opinion would be best suited to doing this regardless of where they are located in the world I could always send it via courier to them

Its very likely that Pillinger are highly competent and more than able to do a first class job but just in case they cant do it for me then I will need to find somewhere/someone else

Many thanks in advance

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
The usual manner of making such a large change would be to find one in the size you want, then sell the other one. Then, if it needs some cleaning up or a re-facing, it would be a normal job.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately this is THE ONLY Dukoff I could find in Australia Eurooe and North America and I periodically search on the net for one too

If anyone can find a 6 or 7 or 8 for me I am more than happy to buy it and have it adapted to an 8*

They are just not available anywhere so if anyone can tell me where to find one consider it sold

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PS it's a tenor mouthpiece and usually when you see one on the internet it's an old ad and already been sold

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually let's get specific here

A Dukoff Miami Florida S 8* tenor mouthpiece

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you believe I just found an S8 on ebay and bought it for $250 plus postage and packing and no doubt some import duty when it arrives

Been looking for more than 3 years and finally I have found something close

Next step to get it altered to an 8*

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
OK, the S chamber is (I think) more rare.

The D7 was the standard go-to mouthpiece for rock and roll for many years, and I expect there are tons of those for sale. S chambers, maybe not so many.

Frankly, if I found myself using my old D7 often, I would probably retire it and get a modern mouthpiece with similar characteristics, that's not made of butter.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Pillinger is a plenty skilled and experienced refacer who can do the work.

Other cream of the crop refacers include Brian Powell, Erik Griffenhagen, James Bunte, Ted Klum, Sebastian Knox, and Matt Marantz. All located in the US. There are others in the US, those names just came to mind.

Don't really know of anyone else notable overseas but I am sure there are some.

Congrats on your find and best of luck!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Personally, I would not spend the extra money “Miami” era Dukoffs go for. It is easy to alter the throat of a modern Dukoff to the more open Miami design. Facings on vintage ones are hit and miss, just like modern ones.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
There's another refacer right there I forgot to mention. Mojo has been doing it for a while now and knows his stuff!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, the S chamber is (I think) more rare.

The D7 was the standard go-to mouthpiece for rock and roll for many years, and I expect there are tons of those for sale. S chambers, maybe not so many.

Frankly, if I found myself using my old D7 often, I would probably retire it and get a modern mouthpiece with similar characteristics, that's not made of butter.
Couldn't agree more - surely there is a better modern mouthpiece out there (or one that is at least the equivalent) but this is a for a friend who is a stick in the mud and been using one for decades and his current one is rather battered.

Then again if you ever find something that works for you why bother changing be it a horn a mouthpiece reed or ligature or whatever.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pillinger is a plenty skilled and experienced refacer who can do the work.

Other cream of the crop refacers include Brian Powell, Erik Griffenhagen, James Bunte, Ted Klum, Sebastian Knox, and Matt Marantz. All located in the US. There are others in the US, those names just came to mind.

Don't really know of anyone else notable overseas but I am sure there are some.

Congrats on your find and best of luck!

- Saxaholic
Contacted Pillanger who responded rather promptly via email so on my return to The UK will be taking the mouthpiece around for him to look at in the hope he takes on the job but from the email it seems that as long as there is enough thickness of material on the beak it should be OK

·
Registered
438 Posts
Would you believe I just found an S8 on ebay and bought it for $250 plus postage and packing and no doubt some import duty when it arrives

Been looking for more than 3 years and finally I have found something close

Next step to get it altered to an 8*
there is no Dukoff 8*, just 7 (.105), 8 (.115), 9 (.125), so 8 is already 8* (.115) in Otto Link numbers !?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there is no Dukoff 8*, just 7 (.105), 8 (.115), 9 (.125), so 8 is already 8* (.115) in Otto Link numbers !?
Actually its a star as in physical five pointed star like a picture etched into the silverite - just didnt know how to represent that so put an asterisk instead which is what other mouthpiece makers use for half sizes

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Otto Link numbers, Dukoff numbers, Meyer numbers, Brilhart numbers, Lakey numbers, yada yada yada.

Nothing matters but the measurement. Different companies use different number schemes. The same company uses different schemes for different models. Sometimes the same company doesn't even keep the same scheme for the same model over time.

The only thing that matters is the measurement.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Otto Link numbers, Dukoff numbers, Meyer numbers, Brilhart numbers, Lakey numbers, yada yada yada.

Nothing matters but the measurement. Different companies use different number schemes. The same company uses different schemes for different models. Sometimes the same company doesn't even keep the same scheme for the same model over time.

The only thing that matters is the measurement.
Unfortunately although exact specifications for the measurements can be found and faithfully reproduced someone told me that when it comes to some of the older handmade mouthpieces that there can be quite significant variations in the measurements from mouthpiece to mouthpiece which probably complicates matters somewhat.

Just what significant means, however, in practical terms is another matter - a fraction of a millimeter here or there may or may not actually make a discernible difference to the final sound but I am just wildly guessing on this

1 - 17 of 17 Posts