Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you know the tune " Big Nick" by Coltrane, then you would now the name Big Nick. This was in front of the old " China Song"..a musician's bar in NYC.
This after one of the many Guardala saxophone workshops in NY.

Tim Cron is to my left. <Dale??? is aside of me- I forgot her last name-she played Tenor kinda in a Prez thing..> This clinic was amazing, just to have Big Nick and Michael Brecker & Branford in the same room.

BIG NICK...Had a saxophone sound to die for. HUGE romantic sound and swinging. I miss guys like him, they made jazz an art form. Grateful and more.

Also pictured is a good shot of me on baritone saxophone, at this Sam Ash Workshop. . Mike leaning against the wall. The Baritone was a COUF...low A.

The thing here is the Violin Etudes for saxophone- I put 2 pages in here. Big Nick had these and they are pretty interesting. He spoke of the Violin books Trane had, seems like could of been a few things.

These are sax friendly, and worth every second you put into them. I had given these to Michael a few weeks after the workshop. Listened to him playing them.

Lastly- ever heard this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLj...WpPne0l0Tcknq1tPKJx51HyNbVNgs0GF5s_Eehg-5qkBs

Listen Here! - Eddie Palmieri...Eddie Harris - Composer Michael Brecker - sax Christian McBride - bass

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing all of this insight, Tim!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I really wish more of his clinics were available online, I love listening to those things. I've tried to collect as many as I can, but it's such a pittance. I know Louis G. has tons of them, but they aren't available to the public.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts