Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a conversation that Michael and I had in 1991. It was a combination of some ideas that we were talking about,I made some cassette tapes for him of Bert Wilson, then got him in touch with Bert later. There were some parts about multi-phonics that were edited out by the editor, and some other content but. Most of all we had a lot of fun.....hope you enjoy it — at Hastings on the Hudson...Michael's home and some phone calls,.

He did know Bert from a loft time period in the early 70's though. Point here is..It was a very relaxed conversation...Very non-interview like in a way that's why I moved forward to get the editor to publish it.

Most of all we had a lot of fun.....hope you enjoy it

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Great article. Thank you for sharing!!!

I didn't know (or didn't remember) some of the stuff... like Mike using a Prophet VS, which is a wonderful and now classic instrument.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I wish there had been an opportunity for MB to work with symphony orchestras and explore some other types of compositions. Some amazing music could have been written for and performed by him.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,000 Posts
I wish there had been an opportunity for MB to work with symphony orchestras and explore some other types of compositions. Some amazing music could have been written for and performed by him.
There was a piece l, concerto type thing, written for him, drums and orchestra, Italian composer I think

·
Registered
104 Posts
There was a piece l, concerto type thing, written for him, drums and orchestra, Italian composer I think
John Psathas is a New Zealand born composer of Greek ethnic background. Based in Wellington and teaches at Victoria University or where ever the music school is now located. A CD was released with Joshua Redman playing the saxophone part - I have a copy somewhere...

Greg S.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,789 Posts

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's interesting that he says he used a Guardala with a lower baffle and no wedge. The Guardala Brecker models I have seen all had what I would consider a high baffle. This still confuses me..........
SN - HI...What Dave made MB were totally hand made customs....nothing close to what you ever saw, played or dream of lol

Mikes neck issue was very complex- to this day....that is someything that confuses me as HOW he did what he did. Cheers.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,789 Posts

·
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts