Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this was posted yet, but I had to pass this along...
This guy is obviously influenced by Mikes playing, but he has his own thing two...
and on a HR piece... I'm curious which mpc he is playing, but it doesn't really matter.. it ain't the mpc!!!

plus the alto player, George Robert is ridiculous too... google his stuff... these cat's are playing some saxophone..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,315 Posts
Amazing - Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Amen to that!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,388 Posts
He ain't really Breckerish in these (poorly recorded) vids, but he sure is Damn Great:

He's Canadian, born in Niagara Falls, but's lived in Italy for ages...

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Man, that was some great tenor playing, and a good tune, well arranged too. Rob Bonisolo doesn't exactly sound like a Brecker clone to me, but there were some moments which were reminiscent of Brecker. Parts of it made me think of Garbarek too.

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,182 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,340 Posts
I don't think he really sounds like Brecker, but I am not sure that a tribute needs to. He rocks and it is awesome. Thanks so much for posting. A real treat.

·
723 Posts
Is this out on CD?
I enjoyed the tune and performance so much I've listened to it about 4 - 5 times already. I found the recording on Amazon, but it seemed like they only offered an mp3 download, didn't see a cd...

I like Rob Bonisolo's tone a lot. It's a bright modern sound, with a nice grunt on the lower registers. Not as bright as Brecker's, which is a good thing IMO.

Note : Okay found the cd selling for $14.95 at CD Universe. You can preview all the tracks there, and they sound good!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I enjoyed the tune and performance so much I've listened to it about 4 - 5 times already. I found the recording on Amazon, but it seemed like they only offered an mp3 download, didn't see a cd...

I like Rob Bonisolo's tone a lot. It's a bright modern sound, with a nice grunt on the lower registers. Not as bright as Brecker's, which is a good thing IMO.

Note : Okay found the cd selling for $14.95 at CD Universe. You can preview all the tracks there, and they sound good!
Thanks for that. I will see if I can find it in the UK.

·
723 Posts
So I just had to drop Robert Bonisolo an email to ask him about what gear he used on this particular recording and he was kind enough to reply me today as follows :

"On that recording, May 2008, I was playing a " Rampone Cazzani R 1 Jazz " saxophone. That is the reason the sound is different.
The mouthpiece is a Ottolink 7*; Doc tenney, with a LaVoz medium reed."

Yet another Link player, and a fairly modest set up at that!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I just had to drop Robert Bonisolo an email to ask him about what gear he used on this particular recording and he was kind enough to reply me today as follows :

"On that recording, May 2008, I was playing a " Rampone Cazzani R 1 Jazz " saxophone. That is the reason the sound is different.
The mouthpiece is a Ottolink 7*; Doc tenney, with a LaVoz medium reed."

Yet another Link player, and a fairly modest set up at that!
Good work zorrosg!
Man, I wish i could get my link to sound like that... I agree that Mike's tone always seemed a little too bright for me. I had heard that Mike was messing w/ Rubber Links but I guess with the neck issues he had, he just couldn't use them for some reason.
Anyway, glad to pass these things along as I find them...

·
723 Posts
Good work zorrosg!
Man, I wish i could get my link to sound like that... I agree that Mike's tone always seemed a little too bright for me. I had heard that Mike was messing w/ Rubber Links but I guess with the neck issues he had, he just couldn't use them for some reason.
Anyway, glad to pass these things along as I find them...
Haha me too.. Busted up my lower lip today trying to cop that tone on my Link 6* STM and not quite getting there. Maybe I am missing the La Voz reed or the R+C tenor?

Anyway, that's a really nice tune that I can't stop listening to, for now. The world has so many great players that are relatively unknown, many of them in SOTW itself - very humbling!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,388 Posts
For what it's worth, unlike some folks around here, I really thought Bonisolo's sound and playing on the Remember the Sound vid was *very damn* evocative of Brecker -- in a way that Bonisolo doesn't sound on the other stuff I've heard.

It sounded (to my ears) like he was purposefully grabbing some aspects of Brecker's playing that are not normally part of Bonisolo's bag of tricks. Just to give one example that stuck out for me, MB in his later years had a unique way of messing around with triad pairs -- like he'd "read the book" and decided that was too restrictive approach, so he was gonna do it his way -- that I've never heard anyone else grab, until Bonisolo's solo here... Just little Breckery stuff like that, that's not normally what I hear in Bonisolo's playing...

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Very moving, thank you so much!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It sounded (to my ears) like he was purposefully grabbing some aspects of Brecker's playing that are not normally part of Bonisolo's bag of tricks. ....
I totally agree w/ that. i don't know his playing that well, but he was definitely play homage to Brecker by playing Breckerish....

plus...

The sound that he got on that Link was surprising to me... he was getting a very breckerish sound (at times) on a HR piece... but it just goes to show you that if you have the sound in your head, it doesn't really matter what you're playing on (up to a certain point).

here's a clip of him playing My Ideal.. a different approach I'd say...

what a bad ***!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts