Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning...all good? good!...So; i have my horn, my mpc. sorted. Titanium frame bottom denture (2 sets)....let the road to recovery commence. Not just yet. I have an inter costal? ( rib muscle) tear. Too much tension by far. I have waited a long time to play, really play again. For this reason i have to let this injury rest. A couple more weeks wont hurt. As much as i want to play, it would be a ridiculous move. So....i lay up each day, listening, thinking, and " meditating " on a relaxed upper torso, whilst supporting a constant warm air flow supported by diaphragm. Weird thing...when i was younger, it kinda came naturally. Now i have been forced into building back up from foundation....? Any excercises, i can be doing. Mpc. Only....all of the above, would really be most welcome. Have a great day...a

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Well, there's lots of different breathing exercises, both with and without mouthpiece.
One that worked for me was to sit in a chair, straight up against the back. Breathe low and feel all your diaphragm muscles, also those in your back. With each breath, push yourself forward from the back of the chair with your back-muscles. I learned this from an oboe teacher, and it has helped me quite a bit in realizing that good breathing is not just low, but also all around.

As for mouthpiece exercises, there's many here on the forum. If I do them it's usually scales ( up&down and in thirds, with and without articulation) and long tones.

Best of luck!

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As always my friend...thankyou. To be a little more concise. It is the " separation " of upper/ lower torso. Although i look relaxed, dropped shoulders etc. There is still way too much tension around my chest. In turn, this causes neck tension. I guess i just need to be happy, i am in a position to play again. Relax...the answer?....thankyou....a

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
Being happy can solve all kinds of problems :)
Still, do try the exercise with the chair. It might work for exactly the thing you describe.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Go swim long distance or dive.

Both will help you strengthen your overall fitness, help recover the issue with the torn muscle, help prevent similar issues in the future, built up your endurance, and help with your posture, and last but not least it does you good in the breathing technique and lung capacity department.

Just make sure you start with a trainer to avoid errors in posture and movement. But you heard that one about playing sax too, I bet. ;-)

But wait with the start until your doc says it is okay.

Edit: The water will guide you to the most efficient moves and the correct posture - if you let it. But it takes a bit of time to become aware of it. The trainer will just help you avoid doing damage early on and give you a headstart in the right direction. Flow with the water. Do not fight it.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mikkeos...all good man. Great quote at the bottom. I would not be so self indulgent as to say...i dunno; still, ironic..Take it easy....a

1 - 7 of 7 Posts