Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have observed one thing,with similar emboucher my alto plays in tune in all the registers if I use a stock mouthpiece that came along with the sax however if I use a branded yamaha 4c mouthpiece then it plays flat(by 20 cents roughly)for most of the registers. Does that mean stock mouthpiece is better or the horn has been adjusted in such a way that it plays only in tune only on that particular mouthpiece.

Is this common or something strange only with my horn?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Your experience isn't all that strange. Mouthpieces are manufactured with varying tolerances, so you'll even find two of the same model can have variation as to their results on a certain horn. Also, some mouthpieces will play more or less in tune on a certain sax. One mouthpiece you might have to push in all the way, the other might have to hang off the end by a thread. Some might never yield an in-tune sound. Some saxes are more forgiving of mouthpiece choice than others.

I'm sure others can post about specifically why this occurs. I'm not an acoustician, I just play saxophone.

Out of curiosity, what brand/model sax are you on?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a not a high end or proffesional horn. It is a taiwanese student horn.
But if it was problem with tuning of the horn then I expect it to be out of tune with any mouthpiece but it is not so. It perfectly plays in tune with the mouthpiece that came along with the sax.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I love the sound of Berg larssen mouthpieces (Sonny rollins) so i tried about 5 or 6 of them on my tenor. And indeed the sound was exactly what i wanted but everything was way to sharp. i could not pull these mouthpieces far enough to get my horn in tune (A440).
I never had this problem with my classical mouthpiece, (selmer F) or with my otto link. The horn is a yamaha yts62.

I ended up keeping the otto link and with playin it more learned to make it play in a way i like.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,300 Posts
rs1026: I agree that some mouthpieces seem to play better (sound better?) than others, on certain saxophones. But I don't think that tuning should be that much off, unless the mouthpiece itself is longer or shorter than the one you favor. You may not be siting each mouthpiece on the neck cork appropriately.

Some mouthpieces have different sized barrels making it more difficult to shove on far enough for accurate tuning. If the Yamaha 4C is of a different length than your favored piece, then it needs to be placed on the cork at a different position. If the barrel diameter is different, you may have to sand down the cork or shim up the piece with a piece of paper wrapped around the cork.

The Yamaha 4C is a stock mouthpiece and should tune up accurately on whatever saxophone you choose.

AND, each mouthpiece may require a different reed strength to allow you to play it to its best advantage. An experienced player may be able to compensate for reed strength issues (to a certain extent), but you may need to increase the reed strength (or decrease) to compensate for the 4C's design. DAVE

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do agree it may depend on reed strengths but if this argument is true then why does the stock mouth piece that came along with sax play in tune with whatever reed I use.Maybe it is more to do with barrel size and opening ... not sure though...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,578 Posts
rs1026 said:
I have observed one thing,with similar emboucher my alto plays in tune in all the registers if I use a stock mouthpiece that came along with the sax however if I use a branded yamaha 4c mouthpiece then it plays flat(by 20 cents roughly)for most of the registers. Does that mean stock mouthpiece is better or the horn has been adjusted in such a way that it plays only in tune only on that particular mouthpiece.

Is this common or something strange only with my horn?
Did I miss something here? If it's 20 cents flat over most of the horn, then you push in about 1/8" and test again. This sounds like you are expecting the 4c to tune in the exact spot your other mouthpiece tunes, which almost never happens.

Alan

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,210 Posts
Alan beat me to it. Yeah, just shove that mpc further up on the cork (probably more than 1/8 inch) until you're in tune. Since you say the whole range of the horn is equally flat, then pushing the cork in should bring the whole range up to pitch.

edit: I meant to say "pushing the mpc in," not the cork!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess that was the problem. I pushed in the mouthpiece further a lot further than 1/8'' now it is better.
Thanks a lot for all your inputs guys.

·
3,875 Posts
LOL. Sometimes the simplest answer is the best. I guess veterans lose sight of how little experience beginners have. What seems obvious to us may not be all that obvious to somebody who's just starting out.

·
14,300 Posts
Agent27: Which veterans are you saying didn't identify the problem right off? I don't know if I qualify as being a veteran, but Alan, JL, and I got it right. DAVE

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Every comment that an experienced person has to say is quite valuable to a beginner
Sometimes even if it not directly related beginners would still like to hear all your comments bcoz if not today, tommorow it will be definetly beneficial. Infact I am coming to know lot of things just going through this forum. I have made it a point to visit the forum atleast once a day.
Keep up the good work guys. Someday I hope even I can contribute to this forum.

·
3,875 Posts
Dave Dolson said:
Agent27: Which veterans are you saying didn't identify the problem right off? I don't know if I qualify as being a veteran, but Alan, JL, and I got it right. DAVE
I'm just surprised that it didn't get drawn out longer before somebody suggested to push the mouthpiece in farther. I think there's a tendency to overlook such an answer because we take for granted that it's something the player should know.

To be honest, while reading the tread I thought about the simple answer but quickly dismissed it because I thought it was too obvious. I just found it amusing that simple answer seems to be the correct one and I assume others went through the same thought process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts