Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are the pics of my horn : http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb106/bbbouklas/
here is a link to the buffet powell on saxpics:
http://www.saxpics.com/the_gallery/buffet/buffet_powell/

can anyone define if the lacquer on my horn is original??
if it was relaquered wouldn't the solid silver touches be covered with lacquer?
I am not a lacquer "master" so help me..
it seems to have taken the same patina of some of the buffet powells listed in saxpics...
I am going to give it a premium overhaul and I am thinking of delacquering it if it really is relacquered..
thanx, Nikolas :)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That looks original to me, but I could be wrong also. The engraving looks deep and the lacquer color is right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,300 Posts
Jacob: Funny, I was thinking the exact opposite, based on the color. Otherwise, I couldn't tell, but it is not my area of expertise (as if anything is). DAVE

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
You could very well be right Dave! I suppose we need expert relacquer spotter Jason Dumars in here.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,316 Posts
It looks like a relacquer to me, based on the engraving. Some of it looks a bit smudged to me, and it is filled in with lacquer.

Then again, I have never seen one of these horns in person.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
If it is a relacquer (and I think it probably is), what are your reasons for wanting to strip it off? It appears to have been done well, and were I in the market for this model, I would buy this one before I would buy a bare brass one.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx guys...
@Fred: I am "thining" about delacquering it.. you have a good point there, at least it is well done (if it is realacquered)

the fact that the engraving is filled with lacquer might just mean that they first engraved it and then lacquered it in the feactory.. I don't know...
the engraving has the same depth all over (other than the buffet stamp) and doesn't look smudged to me ..it might be because of the angle on some of the photos..
what about the silver touches that are still not lacquered??

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,316 Posts
I think that is a matter of personal taste. As of yet, the people who prefer bare brass over a relacquer are a minority, so if you are planning on reselling it, I would keep the lacquer on. If you are planning on keeping it, do whatever floats your boat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I vote relacquered, but so what. Folks who dismiss a horn because it's been relacquered are missing out on a lot of fine playing horns and after all isn't that the most important thing?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,205 Posts
I'm no expert either, but I'd say relacquer (easy to say now that some experts have chimed in). As to removing the lacquer, you can't "undo" the damage, if any, of a relac by removing the lacquer. The problem with a relac, if not done properly, has to do with buffing, not the application of lacquer. At least that's my understanding. If the horn plays and sounds good, I wouldn't mess with it. The lacquer does provide some protection for the brass.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,880 Posts
If looks are a THE deciding factor, don't waste money on a sax, get one of those SSO from ebay.

I'd leave it alone and play it. The laq is there and protecting the horn why waste the $$ having it removed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
I tend to look at the $$ side of my decisions, so that puts me a bit less artistic than many of the better players on this board. In my opinion, it will cost you additional dollars to delacquer the sax and the end result will be a sax that is worth fewer dollars to most buyers. That, to me, is a bad deal.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I was to delacquer it I would do it on my own...so no $$ involved..
2nd I would do it because I like the looks..
In my opinion the sax is not a bad relacquer and I don't think that it would play any better initially..

3rd What about the silver touches, they are not lacquered..why?? if the horn was indeed relacquered then I don't think that the tech who did it would take his time NOT to lacquer the silver key touches with such percision...(?????)

thank you for helping me decide!! :):)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts