Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the opportunity to play 5 Cannonball tenors at my local dealer. 4 Big Bells and 1 Vintage Reborn, all different finishes. The Gerald Albright Big Bell in black nickel spoke to me, repeatedly. I've been told that the finish of a horn has little to do with the sound, but my ears were fooled by the black nickel. :) Traded in my VR alto and walked out with the tenor that spoke to me. Played that evening at an open mic and gave the horn (and me) an A+ for the mellow smooth sound. Good to be back in the tenor fold.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cool, glad you dig the Cannonball horns! I really like them as well. I'm actually not familiar with the Gerald Albright series though. Just saw him perform live last Friday with Dave Koz and Richard Elliot in Sacramento - great show! As far as finish having impact on sound... a never-ending debate. The truth is, it actually does. Those who claim that finish has no impact on sound will typically admit that a silver or nickel-plated horn produces a brighter tone -- go figure.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Gerald Albright series is just a Big Bell with "special" engraving. It was the same price and it was the horn that spoke to me. I didn't buy the hype, I bought the sound. I had no idea who Gerald Albright was until purchasing this horn. After a couple of hours on YouTube, I'm a fan. I envy your live performance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts