·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these terms interchangeable?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't think so. A chord substitution tends to be something close to the original chord that still works/functions more or less in the same way harmonically. A reharmonization tends to be a completely different, re-imagined chord progression that still works with the original melody notes. That would sound like a completely different song of played without the melody.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think so. A chord substitution tends to be something close to the original chord that still works/functions more or less in the same way harmonically. A reharmonization tends to be a completely different, re-imagined chord progression that still works with the original melody notes. That would sound like a completely different song of played without the melody.
I see- so reharmonizing involves chord substitutions in the context of the form and looking at whole new progressions, whereas just chord substitution is looking at chords in isolation? I actually took a reharmonization class but didn't remember the delineation.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
I think chord substitutions falls under the umberella of reharmonising. Mainly in cadences or sections. I think reharmonising is a grander , broader term in regards to the form but either can be used in similar context.They operate on the same principals and actions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Chord substitutions would not change the character of the tune. You would still play the same melody and improvise the same way. Substitutions is an interesting game particularly for guitar players to make certain changes easier without sounding 'wrong'. I have no idea what 'reharmonization' is but I suspect I don't really want to know.
For example the first inversion of Eb major is like a G minor with augmented 5th. At some point it might be easier to play one than the other.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,609 Posts
I have no idea what 'reharmonization' is but I suspect I don't really want to know.
LOL. No, you probably don't want to know. Basically, it's taking a great tune and then looking for ways to totally change it and see how badly it can be screwed up! :)

Ok, I'm just kidding!!! Roundmidnight, please accept my apology. I just couldn't resist after reading 1saxman's post. The devil made me do it... I'm certain that many great tunes have sprung up from reharmonizing.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL. No, you probably don't want to know. Basically, it's taking a great tune and then looking for ways to totally change it and see how badly it can be screwed up! :)

Ok, I'm just kidding!!! Roundmidnight, please accept my apology. I just couldn't resist after reading 1saxman's post. The devil made me do it... I'm certain that many great tunes have sprung up from reharmonizing.
Haha :) This guy has an interesting video about this- if you can get past that he's a guitar player haha! Good videos (and free)- one even about Joe Henderson.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Good video and he explains the difference quite well. Very similar to Barry Harris’ approach to theory as well.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Isn’t what you said confusing? Harmony produces chords. Reharmonize is just modern music speak for altered chord structure and not total chord substitution which alters the key.

The difference between re-harmonization and substitution is similar to the difference between the chord and the harmony.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,626 Posts
To me and the people I've played with, chord substitutions usually refer to just changing (substituting) a few chords in a tune but basically keeping the tune intact harmonically.

Reharmonization is creating a NEW harmony over (under) an existing melody to create a completely new harmonic color.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
510 Posts
To me and the people I've played with, chord substitutions usually refer to just changing (substituting) a few chords in a tune but basically keeping the tune intact harmonically.

Reharmonization is creating a NEW harmony over (under) an existing melody to create a completely new harmonic color.
Yeah, like Coltrane's version of "But Not For Me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxuxhERiwQM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts