Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got an assignment where I need to transcribe the harmony of a reharmonised standard.
Does anyone have any ideas of a reharmonised standard that I can transcribe?
Cheers

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Hi,
I've got an assignment where I need to transcribe the harmony of a reharmonised standard.
Does anyone have any ideas of a reharmonised standard that I can transcribe?
Cheers
There is a cool Bergonzi re-har on " Our Love Is Here To Stay" which Jerry records a lot.

I'd also say to try pianists! They have a better blueprint transcription wise and also they outline better.
Suggestion would start with-Alan Broadbent Trio Live At Giannelli Square: Volume 1 (Chilly Bin). There is a beautiful reharmonization of “Embraceable You,” called here “You and You Alone.” Check out that!

On the " classic" side- any saxophonist worth his salt should know Coltranes reharmonization of the jazz standard "Body and Soul. THAT..you should do ASAP.
It's a defined version- great for your ear.

Recently-There is a nice version on a Roy Hargrove CD ( Roy Hargrove - Nothing Serious) , “Devil Eyes,” a reharmonization of the standard chord changes to “Angel Eyes”.

On Saxophone Summit: "Gathering of Spirits" -Michael Brecker/Dave Liebman/Joe Lovano - you'll find Coltrane's "India" is reharmonized, using the cycle of fourths.Typical Liebman re-har. , great richness in a modal tinge. Easy to hear.

Speaking of Liebman- Check out Dave Liebman - Return Of The Tenor Standards. There are some things Vic Juris re-har'd ( seems kinda zen of the moment but!! ) really nice post bop thinking and a ESP in the band." Yesterdays" is a start on this CD.

I heard on the jazz radio a Conrad Herwig CD that there was a re-har I liked a lot on, "Devil May Care". Don't know the CD but that is a cool one too!

ALSO- The most common, as per today almost given is the " Tune Up " / " Countown" Coltrane re-har.

"Tune Up"
| Em7 | A7 | DM7 - | Dm7 | G7 | CM7 - |

These are the first eight bars of the Miles Davis composition "Tune Up."

| Em7 F7 | BbM7 Db7 | GbM7 A7 | DM7 | Dm7 Eb7 | AbM7 B7 | EM7 G7 | CM7 |

Coltrane modified it into "Countdown", which appears to be much more complex. The ii and I remain, but in between are placed the other two chords from the major thirds cycle centered around each I, preceding each is its V chord.Common stuff today IMHO but must be known IMHO.

OK? Have fun. This will give you stuff to chomp on.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thanks for your responses, and for your detail Tim Price. I ended up doing The Peacocks, played by Walt Weiskopf and Andy Fusco.
Now I have a lot more to go on,
cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts