Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, Im trying to chase down a bit of info on a tenor saxophone and was wondering if anyone can decipher whats what. Its a tenor unit and Im trying to establish its age ect, Im guessing it was made by the british band instrument company. And I dont know if its a reputable or unreputable brand. Can anyone help us out
Thanks
Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,386 Posts
I think it was associated with Boosey (pre & Hawkes) & Co, so before 1930-ish. Is there an address on it or a logo/emblem? Is this the one just on UK eBay listed as a Yamaha alto?

·
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep thats the one. I was after an old unit to suit restoration. And I remember someone once saying british band company was around the 20's but that was hearsay, so Ive been chasing down info to start with, now that Ive already purchased it. I know this brand doesnt hold much value but the thought of owning a saxaphone that was played 90 years ago is just to appealing. I contacted Boosey and Hawkes and they said it definetly sounds like one of there units because of the address listed on it , but since the disbandment of the musical division in 2003 they have no serial number registry anymore ect. So Im starting from scratch on its history. At work we have electroplating tanks ect so I can strip and restore the finish to like new. And then get it serviced for keys ect.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Steve

·
1,386 Posts
Oh yes, I forgot that the address was in the listing. Boosey & Co was at that address from 1874 to 1930, and afterwards as B&H. I have a tenor body (no keys) marked both Boosey & Co and "The Regent", which may or may not be the same as yours - hard to tell from the eBay photo, plus there's not very much left on mine! As it happens I saw a BBI Co Ltd tenor just the other week ...

·
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only down side with restoring sax's like this, is because there so old not many people know what they sound like. So its a hit or miss. One can only hope that something made that long ago which has survived time and was hand made can still when restored play a smooth set of notes
Steve

·
1,386 Posts
simso said:
The only down side with restoring sax's like this, is because there so old not many people know what they sound like. So its a hit or miss. One can only hope that something made that long ago which has survived time and was hand made can still when restored play a smooth set of notes
Steve
Fair point, but many of the members here on the board are playing TTs and Chus that are getting on for that age, and they have no complaints!

The only thing you have to be wary of with these older horns is that they may be high pitch, in which case they're not in tune with modern instruments. The Regent body I mentioned previously is marked LP, so it's OK (or would be if it weren't just a carcase). I'm pretty sure the one I saw the other week was LP, it certainly didn't look noticeably short anyway. In the back of my mind I have an idea that there was also Military (aka Kelham Hall? I dunno, it's all a bit vague ...) Pitch, even higher than HP, which is I suppose another possibility, especially as it's a band instrument. However, as I said, if it's like the other one I saw I think it should be OK.

Incidentally this other one was marked as being assembled from (some?) foreign parts; be interesting to hear more about yours when you get it.

·
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info mate. I appreciate it. When it arrives Ill give it a go and see what it needs and go from there. I work in the metal fabrication business. So anything can be made or constructed if it needs it. The only downside with the older instruments is they were made of brass. So ill have to get my soldering skills back on track.
Enjoy now
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regent saxophones

The English company Boosey And Hawkes Ltd marketed saxes, clarinets, flutes , oboes , trumpets and trombones under the brand name Regent in the 1940/50s. They were at the the cheaper end of the wind instrument market. They were probably made at their Edgware factory in Middlesex. The factory name Edgware was also used as a a model name in their clarinet range. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts