Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Story time:

Dave Captein (Portland, OR) is my all time favorite bassist to perform with. I've used him on upright and electric for several different sized combos and a couple recordings.

Dave is polite, professional, and quiet. (And a doppelganger for Les Claypool.) He is arguably the best bassist in Portland. I hired Dave as often as I could. He was comfortable enough with me to ask to get out of a gig so he could take another one. That's not something he would do often, and it was always about getting to perform a high profile show. And since Portland has (well....at least back then it had) a lot of quality bassists, it was never an issue.

Somewhere along the way he talked about trying to learn the Chapman stick. Once I heard about that, I started booking him on sax/bass duo gigs. Him on electric so he could do chordal stuff. Those turned out to be very cool little shows.

I brought in him to do a few tracks on my "Duos & Trios" release. Which was a recording featuring the duos & trios I was working with all over town. We did an upright bass and soprano sax version of "Georgia" which turned out to be a beautiful arrangement.

But I had an idea to do a sax/electric bass recording. So I booked a lot shows to get us ready for the recording. I called it "Music For Film Vol. 1: Sax & Bass." Seven tracks of all original music. It's a lovely recording. The real beauty of it is how you quickly forget it's just sax & bass and you get swept up in the music. One particularly interesting track is "Peruvian."

I wrote that track for a poetry and jazz recording for Emmett Wheatfall. I wanted something resembling some kind of traditional Peruvian music for a poem he wrote. So I researched what's known as a "Yaravi" and did my best to recreate it; without a guitar. That's a bit of a trick, so it's not a "real" Yaravi, but it's got a lot of the elements and the passion of one. And Dave sounds great on it.

Here it is - enjoy:

https://open.spotify.com/track/0SuF6O2gm01TsJitbDxUfq?si=lPR2TovTQbGgnDb_j_Iu1A

1 - 1 of 1 Posts