Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi searched and didn't find ay thread specifically about this, so here we go...

Barone Pro Tenor hons vs Reference (both)... for jazz proposes.
What do you think about both horns? if possible post by items/topics.
I'm searching for a horn like mark vi/sba kinda vib...

I'm searching for a modern horn, i'm selling my yamaha 62 (because i don't like, don't need to bring the yamaha subject), and i'm searching for a modern horn o can fight my mark vi in sound and feeling...:lick:

be really offensive in comments to both brands/models if you need to.. :bluewink:

also how barone finishes can influence?

thanks

i also want to reed vintage mark vi/sba users about barones/references

·
Banned
2,991 Posts
I could add that I currently own a Barone Classic tenor, and I also came from a YTS 62 background. The only area that the Yamaha was superior in, was ergos - but not by a whole lot, so it's kind of a no brainer.

Apparantly, and I say this without having tried one myself, the Vintage is more akin to a Conn type sound.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, ergonomic is not a really issue for me (although i always liked a lot more my 62, i don't know why, than selmer's. I also think 62 very similar to mark vi, maybe it's stupid but i change between the two and just feel different the palm keys). Anyway the sound is the important for me.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I actually tested this exact comparison, both the Ref 36 and Ref 54 vs my Barone Vintage. Neither had the berth or quality of tone featured on the Barone, especially in the lower register. The greatest imagery I could think of is that the Selmers had a "constrained" or "bratty" sound whereas the Barone expanded organically and was warmer. Both also had fewer overtones in the upper register.

The Ref 36 simply sounded awful to my ears, perhaps it was a dud horn. Response was okay but the tone was rather "raw" or unrefined. Also, lower register response suffered. Ergos were the worst of the three, especially in the palm and pinky keys.

The Ref 54 had the closest sound to the Barone but has "skinnier" ergos, typical of a Selmer. Weather you like that or not is totally up to personal preference, however. The response was better than the 36 but the upper register was more challenging than that of the Barone.

If it means anything, my Barone Vintage was called by my tech, "It's like a Selmer but sounds like a Conn down low" and I couldn't agree more. It's a special combination and personally, better than any Selmer that I tried; yes, even Mark VI's. If you want something more conventional, however, I'd try Phil's Barone Classic model, they're more in vein of the great Selmer sound, minus the inconsistency. Send him an email for greater comparisons.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I have played both the Barone Classic / Vintage and Selmer Reference 54 Tenors. I have done A/B comparisons with the Ref 54 and really, the Vintage is just a better sounding saxophone. To my ears, It has much more personality & tonal complexity.

The biggest difference is the bend-ability of the notes. The Ref 54 has way more "locked-in" pitch, not allowing for much room to move. The Barone's pitch is easily bent, not as much as the vintage Conns or Martins, but much more than many modern saxophones currently being manufactured, such as Yamaha, Yanagisawa, & Selmer.

Both the Classic and Vintage absolutely are exceptional saxophones. If you have any questions, you should call Phil. He's super easy to talk to and can help you decide which model would be best for you.

:director: Finish does not affect tone. I played both a Gold-Plated & Lacquered Vintage Tenor @ Phil's shop. They both played, felt, and sounded the same.

I sold my Yamaha Custom YTS-875S to get a Barone Vintage.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have played both the Barone Classic / Vintage and Selmer Reference 54 Tenors. I have done A/B comparisons with the Ref 54 and really, the Vintage is just a better sounding saxophone. To my ears, It has much more personality & tonal complexity.

The biggest difference is the bend-ability of the notes. The Ref 54 has way more "locked-in" pitch, not allowing for much room to move. The Barone's pitch is easily bent, not as much as the vintage Conns or Martins, but much more than many modern saxophones currently being manufactured, such as Yamaha, Yanagisawa, & Selmer.

Both the Classic and Vintage absolutely are exceptional saxophones. If you have any questions, you should call Phil. He's super easy to talk to and can help you decide which model would be best for you.

:director: Finish does not affect tone. I played both a Gold-Plated & Lacquered Vintage Tenor @ Phil's shop. They both played, felt, and sounded the same.

I sold my Yamaha Custom YTS-875S to get a Barone Vintage.
more one great review. I also find you playing body and soul on a vintage barone. It's funny, i like to listen people o make reviews playing, cause i want to associate to comment with the kind of sound they search. I'm happy to find your audio because you are one of the few members who have the concept of sound near (not the same) my one. and is not easy to find that on SOTW. i liked what i listened.....

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bought my PB MAC 8 (an early name for what Phil sells now as the "Vintage model") as a back-up horn to my minty Reference 36 (that I put a ton of money into), and the Barone simply outplays the Selmer. I too did a version of Body and Soul on my Barone, here:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8769372&q=hi&newref=1

I realize that there may be better Ref 36's out there than mine.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought my PB MAC 8 (an early name for what Phil sells now as the "Vintage model") as a back-up horn to my minty Reference 36 (that I put a ton of money into), and the Barone simply outplays the Selmer. I too did a version of Body and Soul on my Barone, here:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=8769372&q=hi&newref=1

I realize that there may be better Ref 36's out there than mine.
oh my mistake, i talked i liked the body and soul tune recorded by thadnoland, but i was wrong, it was you playing... everything i said about the record goes for you. For that is a thank you for the review and the link =)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
This will be interesting....i actuarly pick up a Reference 54 on monday so will report back when i have evalated it.....

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This will be interesting....i actuarly pick up a Reference 54 on monday so will report back when i have evalated it.....
have you already played barone? and why a reference 54?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
have you already played barone? and why a reference 54?
Yes, i have had a Barone vintage from new for just over a year now, which i am very impressed with....and why a reference 54? well i very briefly played one last year and was bowled over by it so when this one came up for less than half the cost of a new one i just had to have it!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
It's funny that you compared them side by side. Me and my teacher both play a ref 54 tenor and we switch horns(using our own necks and mpc's) and found out there was huge difference between them. One was not better or worse then the other but just different. I think it matters a lot what kind of ref 54 you have

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's funny that you compared them side by side. Me and my teacher both play a ref 54 tenor and we switch horns(using our own necks and mpc's) and found out there was huge difference between them. One was not better or worse then the other but just different. I think it matters a lot what kind of ref 54 you have
i think that happens with all the horns in same model... i agree. What differences have you felt?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
i think that happens with all the horns in same model... i agree. What differences have you felt?
I think that happens with all the Selmers in the same model:evil:....:tsk:not so much with the Yamaha's, for example.........

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that happens with all the Selmers in the same model:evil:....:tsk:not so much with the Yamaha's, for example.........
yeah i was not thinking about the yamahas when i said that.. i'm not a yamaha fan, the only thing i like on them is the ergonomics.. but got your point, yamahas are very similar inside the models..

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts
The whole feel of the instrument, his keys were adjusted differently. His horn was quite a lot brighter and more focused. It was like comparing it to a different model.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The whole feel of the instrument, his keys were adjusted differently. His horn was quite a lot brighter and more focused. It was like comparing it to a different model.
that is a eyes opener to all...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I used to work in a repair shop in high school. While I was in college I use to buy vintage horns that needed some TLC and bring them into the shop to do a rebuild or just fix up whatever problems they had and play them a while and usually resell them on ebay. I wasn't sure what to think of the Barone when I ordered it, but I was really impressed when I got it. Even before I had it professionally set up I really liked the clarity of tone, the intonation (which was much better than my professional Selmer USA), and the ballsy low end of the horn. I play the PB Classic. After hearing Saxguy007's rendition of Body and Soul I kinda wish I'd sprung the extra couple hundred bucks to get the Vintage, but maybe I'll try that later. I've been lusting after a Reference 36 for years, but with grad school loans I just can't justify that kind of money. I'd love to try some other vintage horns, i.e. SML, Dolnet, Malerne, etc. but the Barone is a solid horn and a great value. I think if I were blindfolded and tested I wouldn't be able to pick it out against a VI. I've been playing it as my only tenor now for just about a year and I've done some recording on it and I'm thrilled the with quality of the sound. I play a Master Link refaced to an 8 by Erik G. and a Morgan Jazz mouthpieces and I'd really like to try a piece by Johannes Gerber (that's probably about half of my tax refund!) on it to see how it plays. I would really urge anyone who's looking for a great sound to at least give it a try. The ergos are fine... that's not a big thing for me though. I just like a lot of core to the sound and a sound that can fill up a room. I used to play a Guardala and I've regretted selling it for years now, but the PB has been a great horn and I plan to keep playing it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts