Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
vi tenor 95xxx, vi alto 184xxx, yamaha yss-62, the martin baritone
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I purchased an old Hollywood Dukoff for experimental purposes and let me say I love the tone this thing gets. I'm comparing it directly to the Hollywood Dukoff 8 reissue I've been playing as my main jazz piece for years. The vintage H has a 4* tip opening and I feel it has potential to be amazing if opened up a little.

Can anyone tell me if this piece has already been altered based on my pictures? If so, I may opt to have it opened up to a 6ish. If it's original, however, is it best I leave it in its original condition? Would it be sacrilegious to screw with one of the originals? I'd hate to face the wrath of the saxophone gods.

Cheers and thanks for your knowledge,
Rick

View attachment 248138 View attachment 248140 View attachment 248142 View attachment 248144 View attachment 248146

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
If it's original, however, is it best I leave it in its original condition?
I can't tell you if it's been altered already, though I'm sure some of the members here will be able to discern same. But if it's original, you have to balance your investment into the piece (original purchase price + cost of refacing), and know that if it ends up not being "amazing", it's going to lose most of its value and you'll have a hard time unloading it. So if you're happy with what you've got, why risk the additional expense in only the hope a mouthpiece might work better for you.

Many years ago I had a vintage tenor Link STM. It was a 5 and was amazing. It wasn't open enough for me however, but rather than take a chance on wasting money, time and effort, and potentially ruining an amazing vintage mouthpiece, I traded it for more value and ended up very, very happy with what I got.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I'd probably work with what you have rather than modifying it. Even if it's already been refaced, if the result was this fairly narrow tip, it would most likely have been done to clean something up rather than change it.

Two things: 1) You can't put material back, so you've only got a limited number of times you can face a mouthpiece; 2) Opening it up more than a tiny amount may well change the basic character of the thing.

Personally, since this is an unusual and fairly rare piece, I'd work with reed selection and learn how to make what you can out of the basic character of the piece.

Just my opinion, that's all.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Oh, what's this about a "Hollywood Dukoff reissue"? Is this something Dukoff made at some point? Or someone else? I've wanted to try out one of these old Dukoffs for years but never had the opportunity (though I usually prefer hard rubber). Is this "reissue" something that's currently available?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think mine is a 90's. Its in silverite. I'm not sure if they're currently in production. I bought it by chance when I was looking for a "dukoff" as a teenager (for rocking!). It wasn't a rock piece, but I'm sure glad I bought it. There don't seem to be many out there..!

Oh, what's this about a "Hollywood Dukoff reissue"? Is this something Dukoff made at some point? Or someone else? I've wanted to try out one of these old Dukoffs for years but never had the opportunity (though I usually prefer hard rubber). Is this "reissue" something that's currently available?

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Thanks, I've had one Dukoff made of "mystery meat" and I think I'm going to decline to do another. It's going to be brass or hard rubber for me from here on out, I think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,452 Posts
The tip does not look right to me - tip rail looks way too wide and the whole post-tip area looks cockeyed. I would say to go ahead and send it to a known refacer for opening and corrections.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,591 Posts
Looks fine. Why mess up a good thing when there are tons of other pieces out there? Kind of sucks that the vast majority of vintage pieces are being opened to a 7 or larger just because people can’t play small tips or think they aren’t cool. The cats we all try to sound like made them sound just fine.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,309 Posts
Don't worry about the saxophone gods. It's your piece, so go ahead and do what you want with it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Tip rail does appear wider than my 4*. Side rails appear to diverge toward tip following curve of outer shell proceeding to tip. Have someone measure it. If larger than .090 it probably has been opened. My two Woodwind stubbys have much narrower tip rails and very little divergence of side rails toward the tip, but were not faced by Dukoff. I would suggest reed strength variables to determine optimal playing characteristics. Cheaper than a reface and less destructive.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
Tip rail does appear wider than my 4*. Side rails appear to diverge toward tip following curve of outer shell proceeding to tip. Have someone measure it. If larger than .090 it probably has been opened. My two Woodwind stubbys have much narrower tip rails and very little divergence of side rails toward the tip, but were not faced by Dukoff. I would suggest reed strength variables to determine optimal playing characteristics. Cheaper than a reface and less destructive.
The Dukoff Short Shanks are a whole another animal. Nice thin tip rail and side rails.
They are the ones that play. I’ve had three or four of the Hollywoods and they all stunk. Very dark. I don’t think a reface would do any good. I’d sell it and move on to what I’m looking for.
A focused photo of the tip would help us see if it’s original. For resale value, leave it alone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,961 Posts
Don't worry about the saxophone gods. It's your piece, so go ahead and do what you want with it.
Yeah, go ahead and put a $100+ reface on it, find out that you still don’t like it, and learn that you just lost any original value.

The saxophone gods enjoy a good joke. I can hear them laughing at the thought of it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does this photo help? It seems to have some missing plating, but not a whole lot. It definitely plays like I assume a 4* would.

Cheers

The Dukoff Short Shanks are a whole another animal. Nice thin tip rail and side rails.
They are the ones that play. I’ve had three or four of the Hollywoods and they all stunk. Very dark. I don’t think a reface would do any good. I’d sell it and move on to what I’m looking for.
A focused photo of the tip would help us see if it’s original. For resale value, leave it alone.

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
It’s probably original. I’m not sure having it worked on would help it any. I’ve never had any luck with Hollywoods.
For the the most part vintage stuff plays better in smaller tips. It’s the only way you can get any edge out of them.
Send some photos to Jimmy Jensen. He’d probably have a lot better idea if it’s original. Good re-facers don’t want to mess with original tips but if it’s the usual dead dog these things are he can give you a lot better advice than I can.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you call them "dead dogs" and say they all "stunk", what exactly are you comparing them to and what are you expecting? I gotta say, while the piece blows differently than anything else I own and perform on it's got a really nice classic tenor sound. I'm using a 3 1/2 Francois Louis on it but I think a 4 is probably going to be helpful on this small tip opening. My wife, who is not a sax player but a professional singer, picked the recorded sound of this piece as her favorite out of 3 similar Dukoff Hollywood variations (one 70's, one 90's). It wasn't even a tough decision for her. I don't think it's a "dead dog"..?

It’s probably original. I’m not sure having it worked on would help it any. I’ve never had any luck with Hollywoods.
For the the most part vintage stuff plays better in smaller tips. It’s the only way you can get any edge out of them.
Send some photos to Jimmy Jensen. He’d probably have a lot better idea if it’s original. Good re-facers don’t want to mess with original tips but if it’s the usual dead dog these things are he can give you a lot better advice than I can.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
70's and 80's Dukoff's are not Hollywood Dukoff's. Completely different designs. The 70's thru current ones are the silverite with wedge baffles.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,008 Posts

·
Registered
8,039 Posts
When you call them "dead dogs" and say they all "stunk", what exactly are you comparing them to and what are you expecting? I gotta say, while the piece blows differently than anything else I own and perform on it's got a really nice classic tenor sound. I'm using a 3 1/2 Francois Louis on it but I think a 4 is probably going to be helpful on this small tip opening. My wife, who is not a sax player but a professional singer, picked the recorded sound of this piece as her favorite out of 3 similar Dukoff Hollywood variations (one 70's, one 90's). It wasn't even a tough decision for her. I don't think it's a "dead dog"..?
Maybe you’ve had better luck than me. If it plays at all, leave it alone.
The short shank Dukoffs play much better for me.
I’m a Link player but I always keep one of the short shank Dukoffs around just because I like the design and unique sound.

·
Registered
152 Posts
For what it's worth, apparently there were at least two different versions of the old Hollywoods, and your appears to be the less common version that was cast in two pieces and - as I understand - is considered by many to be the superior model

1 - 19 of 19 Posts