Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want some opinions on this matter..

I'm looking for a bright and edgy sounding tenor sax mouthpiece for those louder playing situations (funk & rock gigs). I've been checking some metal Bergs on some netstores... but I just remembered that I already have a r&r mouthpiece in my drawer: a vintage metal Brilhart Levelaire. It measures "0.90(too closed for me) and probably needs some work.. I really like the responsiveness of this mouthpiece and it's quite easy to play. But the question is that what I've been checking refacing a stainless steel mpc is quite expensive and opening the tip opening requires a lot of work ("0.100-"0.105 would be an ideal opening for me). So would it be easier and cheaper to look for other mpcs or send this one to a refacer?

Ps. I remember reading that some people think that the facing lenght is too short on Levelaires (mine is marked with * = short facing). What benefits would a longer facing on this mpc have?

Thanks!

-TH

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm a part-time mouthpiece refacer. I'm very fond of metal Level-Aires. Their basic design and construction are excellent, but the factory-applied facings are uniformly awful (too short and too curved at the tip). I have refaced many stainless Level-Aires and play them myself on alto, tenor, and bari. With the right facing they can be very flexible mouthpieces with (believe it or not) a warm sound.

So I guess you could say I disagree strongly with calisax?

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,583 Posts
Wanted to share that the Levelaires are really wonderful when given a bit longer curve. Most older Brilharts have pretty short curves to them in comparison to, say, a good Link. I'm sure David can set you up, Tuomas!

·
Registered
MKVI Alto Yani s6/800 sc800 A880 A990B A991S A992 , Antigua p bell, Vito duke T991 T5 T901 ul B901
599 Posts
just wanted to let other members know that Dave's work
is excellent .He has refaced several metal mouthpieces
for me all with great results

·
4,547 Posts
EZ said:
Wanted to share that the Levelaires are really wonderful when given a bit longer curve. Most older Brilharts have pretty short curves to them in comparison to, say, a good Link. I'm sure David can set you up, Tuomas!
Ed,
I have a bari Levelaire that needs a new bite plate and has never blown very reed friendly, but I love the sound and projection. Any chance that you could make this one cool. email me about it...

·
Registered
190 Posts
David Level Air

Since were on this topic, I've got a vintage (1969) tenor level air that David refaced for me a couple of years ago. Its a great piece, but I primarily play alto and really don't have a lot of use for it these days. When I do play tenor its typically at church with something a lot calmer! It was originally a "6", but I don't think that is still the case.

If anybody is interested, let me know. coufplayer at mousehut dot com

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
28,115 Posts
Take if from someone who played these pieces for over twenty years...
Put it on Ebay or use it as a doorstop. Why pay someone to take a chance that you might like it, when you can simply spend the same money on a piece you like right off the bat. These are truly awful mouthpieces. If they can be made to play well, then they're no longer what they were... and that's a crap shot anyway. Don't waste your money. And it will be a waste. Trust me. The one true thing I am most happy about in finding these online resources was the opportunity to hear about, and then sample, some of the great mouthpieces out there. And these aren't them. After a year of sampling new mouthpieces, I put the Levelaires back on for the heck of it. They were basically unplayable for me; and I'd been playing them for over twenty years beforehand! Awful. Terrible. Open or closed. Stink, stank, stunk...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well we definitely know where his handle comes from. :D Peolple do seem to either love or hate these things - I tried one on alto and couldn't stand it. But I do think they can work quite well on tenor and bari. JMHO

·
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,273 Posts
I have a vintage Brilhart Level Air 9* with orginal box, ligature and cap for sale. PM me if you want it.

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
I liked my levelaires. They matched up to my old conn stencil real nice. #7 as I recall. They had a nice sound and were not as bright as their looks would imply. darker than the meyer that they replaced.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.