Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is sort of akin to what Joe from Soprano Planet says he does ("balance" a piece based on the make/model horn you play).

I have a handful of pieces now and they all sound/respond a little differently on the tenors I have. One in particular is a good bit brighter on my Mark VI than on my Borgani.

If I reached out to you and told you "I want to send you my Link STM and I want it to sound like x" would you want to know what horn I play it on?

Just curious if this thought ever enters the equation for you.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,307 Posts
I also wonder about this. Mouthpieces that sound great on my 6M don't sound that good on my Zephyr alto. Conversely, a mouthpiece that was just OK on the 6M sounds great on the Zephyr. I have read on SOTW that when it comes to sound, the brand of the horn wasn't that important, but I am seeing a different result in both sound and mouthpieces between horns.
It got me wondering if most mouthpiece makers/refacers are using Selmers to finalize and run play tests for new designs. Would the design be different if different horns were used to develop a mouthpiece?

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
I think the more important input is what the client’s sound and response concept is and how they feel the current mouthpiece needs to be changed. Let them give you info on how it plays on their sax and reed choice. You then need to measure the mouthpiece and recommend which direction to go and by how much. Many already know what they want to try. Then offer a no-cost follow up adjustment if it needs to go more/less.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Thank you for spelling it out, it is not the individual piece but the combination that makes the difference. Horn, MPC, reed. The same MPC may just require a different reed on a different horn and it is always a challenge to find the right combo.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Thank you for spelling it out, it is not the individual piece but the combination that makes the difference. Horn, MPC, reed. The same MPC may just require a different reed on a different horn and it is always a challenge to find the right combo.
And that is why it is awkward to make an evaluation of a new horn with your favorite mouthpiece, etc.

My life became so much easier when I stopped changing horns. All those "spare" mouthpieces suddenly lost meaning and were more easy to let go.

·
Registered
180 Posts
One that make a big deal about modifications of a mouthpiece to a particular horn are full of it in my opinion! They state this to glorify their greatness. And how dare you question them? Because no one asks these questions but them and that makes them appear superior to the others. Simply put.....it’s all smooze and no extra modifications are made to your mouthpiece to fit horn. Am I against an honest man to make an attempt to dial in a mouthpiece for a particular horn?.....NO! But most likely you’re being Stroked! Watch out for that Stroker!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
One that make a big deal about modifications of a mouthpiece to a particular horn are full of it in my opinion! They state this to glorify their greatness. And how dare you question them? Because no one asks these questions but them and that makes them appear superior to the others. Simply put.....it’s all smooze and no extra modifications are made to your mouthpiece to fit horn. Am I against an honest man to make an attempt to dial in a mouthpiece for a particular horn?.....NO! But most likely you’re being Stroked! Watch out for that Stroker!
Please don't paint everyone with your broad brush. If you know of particular abusers, name them. Don't condemn the good guys with them.

In my personal experience, I have seen wildly varying baffles from Ron Coelho (RPC aka saxmpcs.com) because he takes the time to talk with his clients and will craft various baffle styles to meet their needs.

Similarly, I have worked with Fred Lamberson over the years, and more recently Phil-Tone, to explain what I wanted to get from their mouthpieces, and they each made the tweaks to answer my requests. How do I know that it wasn't just "all smooze and no extra modifications"? Because I played their standard mouthpieces and mouthpieces made for others, and could see and experience the difference.

I agree that there are Marketeers that make a living from selling the smooze, as you call it, but there are also some truly sincere, gifted people working in this craft.

Be aware, but be also fair.

I guess this is sort of akin to what Joe from Soprano Planet says he does ("balance" a piece based on the make/model horn you play).

I have a handful of pieces now and they all sound/respond a little differently on the tenors I have. One in particular is a good bit brighter on my Mark VI than on my Borgani.

If I reached out to you and told you "I want to send you my Link STM and I want it to sound like x" would you want to know what horn I play it on?

Just curious if this thought ever enters the equation for you.
Buddy, this was the genesis of the conversation that I had with Phil (Phil-Tone). He recalled and confirmed that I was playing a Borgani, and offered to make tweaks to his Intrepid to suit my playing. I could not be happier with the results.

FWIW, I used to play exclusively in clubs with no microphone, but last weekend played an auditorium with a sound reinforcement system. I can now report that my setup sounds equally wonderful in both circumstances - and the comments from listeners and other musicians support that.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
Let’s be civil, folks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts