Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are the resonators listed as metal in most dealer ads? (NOT Kessler and a few others which are super accurate.)

To my knowledge, current Ref 54 altos and the R36 and R54 tenors all come with brown plastic/nylon resonators.

Did they ever have metal, maybe when first introduced?

Many current dealer ad photos still show the old neck octave key pivot design, so perhaps the pads were changed during production but the ad copy hasn't been updated?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Not sure, but they play better with metals for sure.

Metal resos the size of the early MK VIs. A soldered bell and raised key heights to 7 and 9 millimeters.

Fun stuff.

I don't know the answer to your question, sorry. But they deffinitely come with plastics now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Not sure, but they play better with metals for sure...
Really? That is pretty much from out-field, especially when you clearly have not tried the model with both metal and plastic.
A well designed sax plays best when it is totally leak-free. Contrary to marketing jollies, it has little to do with the type of resonator.

My experience with 54s was that they needed a lot of attention ex-factory to make them leak free. And around that that time, the metal resonators that Selmer used on some models - I'm not sure which... Selmer was not totally consistent in what they used on any given model - rusted easily, especially around the edges, which compromised the pad leather.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Really? That is pretty much from out-field, especially when you clearly have not tried the model with both metal and plastic.
A well designed sax plays best when it is totally leak-free. Contrary to marketing jollies, it has little to do with the type of resonator.

My experience with 54s was that they needed a lot of attention ex-factory to make them leak free. And around that that time, the metal resonators that Selmer used on some models - I'm not sure which... Selmer was not totally consistent in what they used on any given model - rusted easily, especially around the edges, which compromised the pad leather.
Not out of left field at all. I've played 100's of Ref 54s with metal and plastic and we've experimented at the shop with both on the same horn. Heck, we've even done nylons on top and metals on the bottom. We do a custom build on Ref. 54s at the shop that disassembles them and rebuilds them ala a Mark VI built in Elkhart. Soldering the bow / bell to the body tube etc.

Resonator size has more to do with how it plays than material, but metals definitely have a thing compared to Nylons. The attack is different, the core is different, the frequencies emphasized are different. We've tried it every single way possible on the same horn back amd forth. It definitely makes a difference.

My comment of "not sure" was answering the OPs question of did they originally clme with metal resonators.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought a ref tenor back in 2001 (close to when they came out). And it came with plastic/nylon resonators. I later bought a used ref alto and it too had plastic/nylon resonators.

Hope this helps.
Dwayne

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I couldn't believe it...

But the source is Conn-Selmer, US distributor!

The specs on their web page include, "Pads: treated leather with metal resonators."

I can't say why I find that error so discouraging.

And, yes, the product photo shows out-of-date neck octave key pivot design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts